Log splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of the cheapo electric/hydraulic log splitters. What has happened after a year outside it was reluctant to start but finally got it going. It has a motor which operates an hydraulic ram. Now what I am finding is that sometimes when I press the start button the motor it goes clockwise and sometimes anticlockwise. The only problem is the hydraulic pump only works if the motor is spinning clockwise. If it is spinning anticlockwise the pump does not work and hence does not move.
I cannot recall if this motor rotation was always random and the pump worked in either direction of spin or if the motor always went clockwise.
Now for it to change direction it needs the connections on the start winding to change around but this thing is not that sophisticated in my mind. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
make/model/photo? (photo of the splitter - not your cat). :)

Old electric synchronous clocks had a pawl / ratchet system, which when the motor was first powered up, would force the motor to only run in the correct direction. Might it be something like this mechanism which has failed, so it can now start running either way?

Sounds a bit unlikely though....

Its the cheap badged chinese job mine is marked Woodstar LH65 from Lidl but is same as Sheppach ones. I have watched all the You Tube videos and from what I have seen the motor does tend to run clockwise so no idea why mine runs 50:50 direction wise.
Am awaiting a reply from Germany ie Sheppach.

Sponsored Links
I reckon the capacitor is in circuit during stating and running. I did forget to mention one crucial fact that is that often on pressing the start button it just hums and there is no rotation. Here is the link to the manual showing the circuitry, https://www.thehandy.co.uk/sites/default/files/THLS-6-PLUS 193894002 IM 21-07-2016.pdf
Page 11 shows the circuit diagram and is obvious that the problem must be caused by the start winding receiving no power and who looks the likely culprit? yes the capacitor so that is going to be replaced.

The capacitor ‘kicks’ the motor into life, resulting in the correct rotation.
It looks easy enough to get to, inside the switch housing......should be an easy repair!
John :)

I always tidy up any topics I start in any of the forums I belong to. I hate threads where one never knows the final outcome.

Being pedantic.

The capacitor is a run capacitor, it and the winding it is connected to create a pseudo second phase in the motors magnetic circuits. The motor is in effect a two phase motor

Not being pedantic at all. Id agreeas a start capacitor is disconnected from the circuit when the motor has kicked in. There is nothing in the diagrams I have seen to indictate any type of switch, usually centrifugal, in this arrangement. Remember is a cheap Chinese job rebadged by every man and his dog:giggle:

Not being pedantic at all. Id agreeas a start capacitor is disconnected from the circuit when the motor has kicked in. There is nothing in the diagrams I have seen to indictate any type of switch, usually centrifugal, in this arrangement. Remember is a cheap Chinese job rebadged by every man and his dog:giggle:

It looks to me like the idea is to change the phase in the second winding, so as to reproduce produce a second phase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back