Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First, a old plug that I got with a Nikon Labophot 2A microscope. As seen from the picture below, the pins on it are stamped/pressed! Has anyone seen this before, and did it comply with BS1363 when it was made? The plug is a two part sealed and non serviceable hard plastic plug.

(Yes I cleaned half of the earth pin.)

Second, we had to replace the steel tines on a Blacker & Decker Electric Lawn Rake from 1983, and during the process my mother who was insisting on taking it apart her self, took it apart to far and took the motor apart in the process.

When I was putting the motor and it's brushes back together, I noticed the thin grey wires for the motor windings simply slid loosely into tiny brass holes.

Were these original spot welded in as it seeps a dubious connection from the terminal block on the top to the actual windings?

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
BBC micros used to have moulded plugs with those sort of pins, though not sleeved in those days. I was furious when a PAT tester cut them off a few years later because they were not sleeved considering regs are not retrospective. I left instructions that he was not to be paid, whether that happened or not I don't know.

Indeed very unusual plug on the BBC micro, moulded and with pins that appear to be some sort of stamped/folded metal.

And this from an era when most appliances coming simply with bare wires that you fitted your own plug to.

BBC micros used to have moulded plugs with those sort of pins, though not sleeved in those days. I was furious when a PAT tester cut them off a few years later because they were not sleeved considering regs are not retrospective. I left instructions that he was not to be paid, whether that happened or not I don't know.
Then you were a fool.

Sponsored Links
Then you were a fool.

Why?
I would certainly not cut a plug that predates any legislation from something that I did not own.
To damage a pice of equipment that does not belong to you is beyond your remit.
By all means tape over a plug and fit a "do not use" label

I wouldn’t cut it off either, but it would be a fail for sure.

What would it "fail", and how?
It fails to meet the standard BS1363, which has required plugs to have sleeved L&N pins since 1984.

Whether a plug needs to comply with that standard depends on where it is to be used, so replacing it isn't always required.
Most would suggest replacing it regardless, but some can rely on the tired old 'regulations are not retrospective' line to allow almost anything in some situations.

However any item of equipment which is 'supplied' as described in 'The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994' will need to have a plug with sleeved pins, so in those circumstances a plug with non-sleeved pins would need to be replaced. That includes items offered for sale or hire, and situations such as where a property is rented to someone and appliances are included in it.

Whether a plug needs to comply with that standard depends on where it is to be used
Do we know that the one referenced above was a location/use where people were required to replace old plugs with ones complying with that version?

Most would suggest replacing it regardless,
It may be a good idea, but in what circumstance is a tester permitted to destroy plugs which do not comply?

but some can rely on the tired old 'regulations are not retrospective' line to allow almost anything in some situations.
It's not a tired old line - it is a very important consideration when deciding it an item can be "failed" or destroyed.

However any item of equipment which is 'supplied' as described in 'The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994' will need to have a plug with sleeved pins, so in those circumstances a plug with non-sleeved pins would need to be replaced. That includes items offered for sale or hire, and situations such as where a property is rented to someone and appliances are included in it.
Do the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 allow a tester to destroy non-compliant ones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back