Wood chipper capacitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

I have an old electric wood chipper that mostly does not run but sometimes does. It is a Champion 2000W and has been challenging to dismantle.

Having gotten it in bits, I see that it needs a new starting capacitor. I know nothing about caps but what is written on the side is 20uF +- 5% / 450v-DB HPFUP / 450v-DB HPFNT / 25/85

What I have found on eBay is as the photo. Would this do the job?
Cap.jpg

Thanks, toodle pip and stay safe

Rex

Sponsored Links
Fitted and almost working as it should.

The chipper has a two way switch with a safety restriction lever. It allows the motor to run in either direction to feed material in or extrude it.

But with the switch in either direction, the motor is turning in the same direction each time. Feed in / extrude; the motor is only running in one direction.

I dismantled the switch mechanism and gave it a shot of switch cleaner, but that has made no difference.

Any ideas on what would be causing the motor to run only one way?

Toodle pip, thanks and stay safe.

Rex

Sponsored Links
Don't buy from electronic components from ebay unless you know the source is quality. Try CPC Farnell, Rapid, RS or 10's of other legitimate dealers. There are legit components traders on ebay - check out the registered business address.
Nozzle

Thanks for your reply. Are you implying that even a starter capacitor could be faulty? The replacement certainly came from eBay and it appears to be doing its job in as much as it starts the motor.

The problem is that the motor will not run in both directions. Or more specifically, it runs in one direction X times. Take a break and try in the other directions, and bingo, it suddenly runs in reverse. And then it is 'locked' in to reverse, even when changing the switch direction.

Can this be caused by the cap?

Everything is made in PRC, but only some things are made in PRC to the quality specifications of a firm which outsources. If it's not in this category, it's in the other category.... that is to say, it looks the same and might function the same when brand new. Then it goes bang and sets your house on fire.

The CE and EN marks mean diddly squat in the latter category, it's just another detail to add to the silkscreen printing and nothing more.

Nozzle

Last edited:
Nozzle is correct that bad capacitors can go bang and best to get from reputable suppliers.

But a good or bad capacitor will NOT change (or make a difference) to the direction of an AC motor.

You change the direction of an AC motor by changing the wiring path to the AC motor.

Do you have a picture of the wireing at the switch and/or the motor?

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back