Electric or gas Oven

Sponsored Links
It is a combination of all, and it works well.
Fair enough. It'd really become a semantic question - if I put food into a fan oven, even near the top, and shut the door, I would intuitively not call that 'grilling'.

Mind you, I speak from a position of relative ignorance. Certainly during Autumn/\winter \9when it also heats the kitchen), our primary cooking is with an Aga - which is a totally different world, since true 'grilling' is really not possible. However, in a similar fashion to what you are describing, a reasonable approximation to grilling can be achieved.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Many years ago around 1980 I was working in Algeria and said to my wife you can have any cooker your want, she was looking at a Cannon gas cooker with a built in microwave at £1000, remember this was 1980 and nearly 4 weeks wages for me even as an expat. But then she looked as the silly fingers holding the pan, and looked at out small children and instead went for a Belling with a ceramic hob only £400 I got off light.

It lasted around 25 years, so good valve, and the new one looked nearly the same, again Belling, but the oven shelve was inferior it could in error be pulled completely out spilling food on the floor, no splash back, and no glass cover over the knobs, but the induction hob was far more controllable, can melt chocolate without needing a bowl in hot water, and faster when required, plus load of safety features auto switch off with over heat or over time, and auto switch off etc.

The oven too had loads of extras, to be frank closed door grilling is only one of extra features regularly used, most of the advantages is with the hob, main one is it does not get as hot, heat goes direct into pan so spills easier to clean, we got caught out with pressure cooker, it was stainless steel and stainless steel is non magnetic so did not work, pan made out of aluminium we expected to fail, but over looked stainless being non magnetic.

It worked well so suggested mother also get a induction hob, what a failure, had to be ripped out and replaced with halogen. It failed mainly due to touch controls which were invisible when seated in a wheel chair, however also concerns over her pace maker. Since ours had knobs we had never considered the problems with touch controls, also easy for children to in error switch on, as you need to look down to see them, any one who's eye is low can't see the controls.

Also they set the hob about ⅛" above worktop, so any spills were not retained on the hob, but wet anything on work top, our cooker was naturally around ¼" below work top so spills are retained. Nearly all gas hobs retain spills, seems daft to install an electric which does not. And only the very expensive induction hobs seem to have knobs on, or those part of a stand alone cooker.

Also the whole advantage of induction was it is as quick as gas to turn down, so when milk starts to raise you turn off power, no need to lift pan, however the silly touch controls you needed to select ring, then press many times to turn off power, so milk boiled over, the induction hob is great, but touch controls are not. Not all touch controls are like that, but we tend to buy after looking as a unit with no power to it, so no option to check angle of view.

Wife as yet has not learnt how to disable the child lock, grandchildren think it funny to set child lock so gran can't use cooker. So much for child lock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back