Electric oven to gas oven..?

28 Apr 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I currently have an electric oven (with the usual 4 gas hobs on the top). My brother in law has given me their old cooker which has a gas oven.

The gas oven comes with a plug, but the electric oven doesn't use a plug but instead has a connection unit.

Would I be able to just cut off the plug from the gas oven and attach it's wires to the connection unit as switching the mains off?

Sponsored Links
no. the fuse will be too big. but you can plug it into any socket
the electric cooker might be fused at 30Amps or so (have a look in the consumer unit) and tell us please.

the gas oven should be fused at no more than 13A, more likely 5A.

there are a few ways of achieving this.
No. The problem is the fuse in the plug which you want to cut off protects the small cable to your cooker so it would be quite unsafe to do so. Options depending on the existing circuit arrangement involve changing the cooker outlet plate for a socket or an FCU and/or downrate the MCB/fuse in your consumer unit. But this would be notifiable work in England :( Good news is it wouldn't take an electrician long to do the work.

EDIT: Must learn to type faster.
Sponsored Links
Ok. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local