refitting kitchen cooker question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have a gas hob and electric oven to fit there is a plug on the oven . my question is .can install a socket behind the oven on the 6mm wire and plug this in here and isolate byt the cooker switch in top cupboard

Sponsored Links
It will be there somewhere. There should be a plate either inside the door or on the back panel.
Or look in the instruction book. Did the oven come with a lead and a moulded 13A plug fitted?

Or look up the model number on the makers website.
Cant advise until I know this key info.

Sponsored Links
If the oven came fitted with a BS1363 13 amp sealed plug, then chances are its fine to be installed as such. However, please do tell us the KW or AMP rating of the oven.

If your gas hob requires 240 volts for its ignition, installed TWO SINGLE SOCKETS behind the oven, one for the oven and one for the hob. Dont use a double. Your cooker switch will isolate these fine.

thanx
it is a sealed 13amp plug cant find any rating though its a candy fanless oven and gas hob
what i have done is remove the plug wire and use the 6 mm cooker wire and installed a single socket behind the oven spured off the ring for the gas hob plug is this ok
thanx

thanx
it is a sealed 13amp plug cant find any rating though its a candy fanless oven and gas hob
what i have done is remove the plug wire and use the 6 mm cooker wire and installed a single socket behind the oven spured off the ring for the gas hob plug is this ok
thanx

If I read this right you now possibly have the oven directly connected by it's flex to the 6mm cooker circuit & protected by a 30/32amp fuse/mcb at the cu, having cut off the plug & 13amp fuse from the oven flex.

forgot mention the fuse if its okay do i need to change it ,or can i connect a plug socket to the 6mm wire an connect it that way byusing the original plug
whats the best way to do it havent used it yet as the corgi guy still has do the gas on saturday

Why have you done that??

You started by saying that you would fit a socket to the cooker outlet via 6mm² cable - good, then changed it to

"remove the plug wire and use the 6 mm cooker wire and installed a single socket behind the oven spured off the ring for the gas hob plug "

No, it's not ok.

just to be clear didnt cut off cable just removed it from terminl on cooker and connected the cooker wire form switch
would like to do the right thing so can easily put the original wire and plug back

so the best thing to do is put the original wire and moulded plug back on the cooker and use a single socket on the 6 mm wire behind the cooker and plug it in is this right
could i also spur off this single socket with 2.5mm and install another single socket for the gas hob which also has moulded 13amp plug as i could move the other socket which is on the ring not a spur for the dishwasher which is further along
thanx

could some one please tell me if the above reply is okay ignore the rest going to start a fresh!! just found the oven rating is 2.1 kw
thanx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back