ELECTRIC OVEN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone can help, I've just ordered a new oven with the following power ratings,
Grill Power 1600 watts
Lower element power 1000 watts
Upper element power 800 watts
Circular element power 2300 watts
Oven light 15 watts
Tension frequency 230 volts (50-60 Hz)

Is it possible to plug the oven into a normal 13 Amp socket or will I need a seperate cooker circuit.
Will be grateful of any advice.

Grahamh

Sponsored Links
You should be OK using a 13A socket, but it depends what else is on the same circuit. If you have a dedicated kitchen circuit then no problem, otherwise you may get the circuit tripping out if a lot of other stuff is running when you turn on the oven

I am sorry to disagree, that makes a totla of 5715 watts, an electric fire is only 3000 watts, I know that the diversity law is applied to cookers, but I would say no, you would need a specific fuse, mcb etc.

Mind you see what size cable comes with the cooker.

As I understand ovens (and this may be different I agree) you can choose any setting but not all settings at once, therefore when the 2300W circular element is on you cannot have any of the others on and so you are OK on 13A. If however you could put something else on with this element the Breezer is correct and you will need a dedicated supply.

Diversity is applied more to hobs than ovens, cos an oven is generally on or off but a hob has multiple rings.

Sponsored Links
Stupid answer time, but with a new electric oven, the manual should tell you how the manufacturer says it sould be connected.

Do it any other way, and you may invalidate your waranty, insurance etc.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I guess the sensible thing to do is wait until the thing arrives and read the installation instructions.

ps: I know the total wattage is over 5000 watts but it's unlikely you'd have everything on at the same time isn't it ?

Thanks Again.

I am looking at moving the dedicated cooker switch/socket(seperate) to avoid new cupboards. This is on it's own circuit with a dedicated 45A fuse in the board. I was under the impression that this was common practice.

It all depends on the size and type of the appliance. As most of the power in an electric cooker is used by the hob, if you have a gas hob then the oven can usually be connected via a 13A plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back