electric shock from washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
for the past few days i have been getting pretty bad electric shocks from my washing machine.

i first noticed it when emptying the filter i kept thinking something had bitten me ;o)

then i have been getting bad electric shocks when loading and unloading, when touching the drum?

is this a fault with the washer or just normal?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It is NOT normal. It has a fault which could be very dangerous.

Possibly a water leak has got onto the electrics.

It also sounds as if the plug and/or socket are not wired correctly.

Please call a repairman in while you are still alive.

Unplug the appliance now.
Check that the earth is wired into the plug. Get a multimeter and check for continuity between the earth pin of the plug and the case of the machine. Finally check that there is an earth present at the socket.
Under no circumstances should this machine be plugged in again until this fault is rectified. It is extremely dangerous and the shocks can be fatal.

Sponsored Links
Did you get to the bottom of the problem?

I had a similar problem with a dishwasher (electric shock from the inside of the door whilst unloading it) and it turned out the socket it was plugged into wasn't correctly earthed as the earth cable that was feed from another socket was lose.

we haven't heard from her for more than a year.

She's probably
smiley11.gif

HMMM....

Not very helpful if people don't provide feedback on the problem.

Forums are supposed to work both ways after all!

I have the same problem; Please advise me on best course of action I.E call electrician or just replace apliance.

P.S I will update you. Thx in advance

call an electrician. There is probably a fault on the earth conductor of the circuit.

Ask friends and neighbours for a recommended local firm. It need not be a big company.

It is preferable to use someone who is a member of a self-certification scheme. This means he is authorised to carry out test and documentation required if you need a new circuit or alteration to the electrical installation in a kitchen (and certain other work). So, when phoning, ask if he is a member of a Self-Certification scheme; which one; and what name he is registered under. Write this down. If he is suitably qualified he will be pleased to be asked.

p.s. see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117381 which sounds similar.

Update;
Electrician called and diagnosed the problem as the dishwasher. He came to this decision after changing the plug sockets and checking other apliances in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back