Bosch dishwasher electric shock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was unloading my Bosch Exxcel dishwasher yesterday when I received an electric shock from the inside of the door (the machined was powered on at the time). I have used the power outlet for years (previously for a washing machione) without any problem and the dishwasher has been working quite happily for 4 years without any problems. The dishwasher is still work correctly.

Is this likely to be a fault with the dishwasher or could it be related to the electrical supply?

Any suggestions for what could be causing this please?

Sponsored Links
you most likely have a wiring fault.

The fact that you have not previously been electrocuted is no help.

You can tell us all about your house, your wiring installation, the age of your consumer unit, any alterations and modifications made, the earthing method used in your house, main bonding, and possible damage if you like, and send photos, and we may puzzle it out.

Alternatively you could start asking friends and neighbours if they know a recommended local electrician. Before engaging one, ask if he is a member of a Self Certification Scheme, which one, and what name he is registered under. The remedial work is likely to be Notifiable under Building Regulations and an unqualified repair is not what you need.

Thanks John D,

I don't have enough knowledge to answer your questions so will need to get someone qualified in to have a look.

So should I get the electrics checked out before I get a Bosch engineer to have a look at the dishwasher - or get the dishwasher checked out first?

Chris

My guess is that it is a wiring problem. In a modern installation, power will be automaticaly cut in the event of a fault which leads to a shock, and good earthing reduces the chance of shocks anyway.

Of course I might be wrong. One thing you could try is getting one of those RCD adaptors as used on lawn mowers - the sort that cuts the power if you cut through the cable and touch the bare end, to prevent you getting a shock.

If you find it cuts the power when you plug in the dishwasher, on whatever socket; but does not trip when you plug in e.g. your kettle on the same sockets, then that would point at the appliance.

If you live in an old house, and have replacable fuses, or if the wiring has been altered or extended by an amateur or a kitchen fitter, or if your fusebox is brown plastic, or grey metal, then I would suspect the wiring.

p.s. if the dishwasher is plugged in, it may still give you a shock even when switched off. Unplugging it is the only way to be sure it can't.

Sponsored Links
You have an earth fault. Unplug the appliance and get it sorted out.

Thankyou Sleepyhead,

Do you mean an earthing fault with the electrical supply or with the appliance?

Thanks

Chris

Unfortunately can't tell that remotely.
If you go to Maplins you can get a socket tester, just plugs into your socket and lights up. Not expensive and easy to use. That would rule out or confirm the fault on the electrics.

'mmmmmm.

A socket tester only detect certain very gross faults :(

My money is still on the house wiring.

If wiring and bonding was good, and the appliance shell became live due to an appliance fault, it should run to earth through the CPC rather than through the body of the OP.

Earth wire broken or disconnected in the appliance cable will give this fault.
Socket tester will certainly indicate if earth is present or missing in socket.

Got a socket tester and tested socket and it showed wiring was correct.

However I got an electrician in today and did some tests and identified it was a problem with the earth circuit - the earth was loose at the socket the dishwasher was connect to.

Thanks to all for their advice

;) the socket testers just say off/on for the interconnects so will not show a high-resistance or intermittent contact unless it is very bad.

Hi there,

I received an electric shock from the inside of the dishwasher door while my hand was under the water running from the kitchen sink tap.

Could this be an earthing problem?

Does anyone have any specific advice? any idea?

I am not familiar with Belgian wiring methods so have no idea how the house earthing should work.

You probably have two faults; at least one failure of cross-bonding between the water pipes and the electrical earth; and another fault in the appliance or its plug or socket or cable.

You can turn off the power and look for signs of wiring damage, but I honestly think you would do better to find someone familiar with local conditions.

Thanks for the reply that's very helpful.

I am going to get an electrician. From what I can tell there is nothing wrong with the earthing.

Many thanks once again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back