Electric Shower - Cold Water in the morning, hot later

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved into a house. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the electric shower which I thought was just tempremental but now think its following a pattern so there has to be something specifically wrong.
In the morning that water is freezing, it may get 'warmish' for a few seconds but runs cold after that. From lunchtime it appears to behave and we get piping hot water (not warm, nice and hot :D ). The shower if electric (I've identified it as such because (a) it runs of electricity :rolleyes: and (b) only has one water pipe running to it (picked this bit of info of a similar thread). Other than that we have a hot water tank in the bathroom and cold water tank in the loft. I have tried to eliminate any variables such as washing machine / dishwasher etc being on, the hot water being on (my understanding is that this shouldn't make a difference anyway), no other major elec appliances being on. In the morning, I pull the power on switch, the lights on the shower come on, the same happens in the evening when it works fine (i've even tried leaving the power "on" overnight and "off" overnight to see that makes a difference. The only other info I can add is that I 'believe' there is a pump in the airing cupboard near to the hot water tank and the shower is in a shower room next to the bathroom. Other than that I'm going crazy. We are planning a major bathroom overhaul (once we have saved :D ) knocking the bathroom and shower room back into one (my 5 year old son doesn't need an ensuite and I'm sure we'd all benefit more from a big family bathroom so I'd prefer not to have to buy a new shower (unless we absolutely have to) when it will get ripped out again in 6-12 months. Any suggestions would be gratefully rec'd (Oh we also don't have 'economy' electricity overnight or whatever its called)

Sponsored Links
For elimination purposes -

Is the water in your tank hot in the morning?

An electric shower should be plumbed to the mains and not need a pump.
Can you see where the water pipe to the pump comes from?

When the shower is hot, can you turn it down to cold?

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes, the hot water comes on 5.30am-7am as a back up plan for useless showers :D
The shower wasthis morning at 8am for my son (we tried a few switching on and off again before I remembered it wasn't a PC :LOL: ) but when I tried at 9.15am lovely hot shower for me.

What I *think* is the pump is connected on one side via pipes to the hot water tank and the pipe the other side leads up the wall into the loft / roof space (I've taken some pics and will try to upload).

If it is a pump could the pump just be for the hot taps and upstairs cold taps as they dont run from the mains?

Sponsored Links
I don't think the pump is for the shower. I was just mentioning it because there is a pump in the airing cupboard and didn't know if it was relevant - and the PP asked me about it.

I do think the shower is an electric shower because it has a power switch (pull cord) to turn it on. (however, since I'm not qualified in these things I'm prepared to accept that I could be completely wrong)

Also the model is a Triton T70xr and the Triton website says it is an electric shower.

I'm just looking at all the variables, no matter how crazy it seems because it doesn't make sense that a shower doesn't work before 9am and does work perfectly fine after 9am.

I'm going crazy :evil:

Does the low-pressure indicator come on when the shower is cold?

There isn't a low pressure indicator on the shower.

Only a small slight for "power on".

If the pressure was low then the water would be boiling??

(thanks)

Well how dare they have a shower when I need one?

Wow its like being back in the dark ages :LOL:

So my next question is ... we plan to move to a combi boiler and have a shower that runs from that system.

Is water pressure going to be an issue with that shower too?

Get a plumber you can trust to come and look at it.

Back to the Triton problem - it's very odd.

Do you have access to the pipe supplying it?

If so when the shower is working, does that pipe feel cold or hot?

Well how dare they have a shower when I need one?

I know. Some people... They're the same ones who drive on the M25 between J16 and J10 every evening just when I need to use it.

So my next question is ... we plan to move to a combi boiler and have a shower that runs from that system.

Quite possibly - but we haven't yet established if you do actually have low water pressure, or if there's something else up with your shower.

So the shower is doing its job. There are 2 pipes, one coming out of the wall a little (I can see come copper piping which I'm identifying as a water pipe which runs into some silver spangly piping (like my technical terms?) so it can flex into the shower unit. Then another flexihose coming out that leads to the shower head.

The water pipe in is cold. The shower hose (when the shower is working) is warm / hot.

Yes it will be unless you live on your own.

You can be in the shower and someone turns on a hot tap elsewhere in the house. The limited amount of hot water from the combi is now shared between shower and tap. If you have a thermostatic mixer for the shower then the flow will reduce considerable but probably stay hot. If it is a simple mixer tap then the shower will suddenly go from hot to warm or even to cold.

"Yes it will be unless you live on your own."

:( Our old house was a 3 bed, same as this one and we are a family of 4, we didn't have any problems with the combi boiler / showers / hot taps as we only had one bathroom (the same will apply here one the bathroom refurb takes place)

Can you explain to me so I can understand why it prove a problem in this house. I'm so confused.

I'm very desperate to get rid of this hot water cylinder / cold water storage in the loft because I don't like not having hot water on demand and also trying to retrain the kids not to drink water from the taps upstairs because its been sitting in a cold water storage tank for goodness knows how long? Is there any other system you'd recommend?

I'm geting a bit off topic by moving onto heating system. I've had one independent heating engineer who has recommended a Worcester 37 or 42 CDI combi boiler and said it will be fine if we keep to one bathroom. British Gas are coming out on Monday for a free consultation so I'll see what they say but its good to understand all the options. What I want is hot water for showers in the morning and baths in the evening if required. Its been a while since I've handwashed dishes :oops: everything goes in the dishwasher.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back