Electric shower for studio flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have searched through as many forum posts as I can and now have a general idea of the answers to some of my shower questions but would really appreciate a pros specific advice.

The property is a studio flat, all electric no gas and is to be rented out to probably just one person. I am looking at the most cost effective solution for a shower, both buying/installing and running costs. My thinking is that as only one person will be living there an electric shower might be cheaper for them, rather than to heat up the hot water cylinder/immersion heater?. I understand that any shower rated 7.5kw or above will require a 10mm2 cable with the relevant sized RCBO.

1. Would an electric shower be cheaper to run than using a power/mixer shower with an immersion heater to heat the water?.

2. Mira appears to be the most recommended, I was looking at the Mira Sport but not sure whether to get the 9kw, 9.8kw or higher, is this a good, reliable model with out the bells and whistles of the Advance?

3. Is it that much more expensive per shower to run say a 10.8 kw than a 9.8kw or a 9.8kw than a 9kw?,

4. Will a 10.8kw/9.8kw flow be that much better at the same temperature than a 9.8kw/9kw?

5, The sparks I intend to use is qualified? but does not have Part “P”, does he need this in order to issue a certificate for the shower installation and overall electrical check of the studio?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Electric showers should only be fitted as a last resort. If you already have stored hot water, use that.
Whoever lives there will be heating the cylinder anyway, as if not, they won't have any hot water for the kitchen sink, handwashing etc.

If you still want an electric shower then:

Higher rated showers are more expensive to run. However the cost difference for a short shower will be minimal. Obviously if it's someone who leaves the shower running for an hour it will cost more.

Flow - more power equals a bit more flow, but all electric showers are feeble when compared to mixers or pumped power showers.

All electric showers work in the same way - it's a box of heating elements that the water passes through. Some have thermostatic controls, most do not. If you live in a hard water area, the shower will be ruined by limescale in a few years anyway. Personally I'd fit a cheap one like a Gainsborough.

Not entirely clear what you mean by 'part p' but if the electrician you are using isn't a member of a competent persons scheme, you will have to pay a notification fee to building control when the work is done. Typically this will be £100-£300.
While it is perfectly possible for someone to be a qualified electrician and not be a member of any scheme, this would be rather unusual, as it will either limit them do doing minor non-notifiable work or paying the £100+ notification fee for every job.

Flameport

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions - very helpful

Anyone else able to help?

If it's a studio flat then space might be at a premium. An instant electric shower and an under-sink water heater to do the kitchen sink and washbasin, would save the space taken up by a cylinder.

Sponsored Links
under-sink water heater to do the kitchen sink and washbasin - excellent idea thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back