Electric shower problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...originally posted this in the plumbing forum but they reckoned it was an electrical fault and would get more help here....

I've got a Gainsborough 10.5kW electric shower in my house...switch with red light (sorry...not sure on the correct term for that) is on the wall outside the showerroom.

Recently I turned on the switch and the red light was a LOT dimmer than it used to be and when I turned the shower on it didn't produce any hot water.

Checked the wiring at the switch - looks fine.
Checked the circuit breaker - fine (as expected since there was some light on the switch).

Any suggestions on possible causes of these symptoms and ideas for fixing it?

Thanks
Ronnie

Sponsored Links
I recon that you have a faulty switch!!

Get a new one (make sure that it's rated for 50A)

Have you checked the wiring in the shower unit?
It could be a bad connection or overheating.
What is the size of the cable?

Just checked the wiring inside the shower (as much as I'm able) and it all looks fine...no loose connections or obvious damage. I noticed also that when I turn the shower on (i.e. get the water going), the light on the (isolation?) switch outside the showerroom goes out entirely. When the shower is off the light is just dim now.
I'm afraid I don't know what size of cable it is...sorry - bit of an electrical newbie.

Do I have any options short of getting an electrician to look at it or just buying a new shower?

Ronnie

Sponsored Links
nozpark...I thought that the switch was effecively just a mechanical part? Flip the switch and it makes a physical connection and that's it ??
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how could it be broken?

Ronnie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back