Electric Shower Problems - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Triton Ivory 2 10.5kw
We got up as usual yesterday, went to the bathroom, pulled the ceiling switch (the light illuminated on the ceiling box) flicked the shower switch ...and nothing! No water, no bang, no smell, no light on the shower box just nothing. Trip switch downstairs was all normal. I phoned Triton they said sounds like the solonoid and a part would be £35 plus postage. We decided to buy a new shower as the other one was 5 years old and it didnt seem worth buying expensive parts for it. Bought a replacement Triton Cara 10.5 kw - which looks identical to the original Ivory version. Hubby has spent the last hour fitting it, put the water back on, electrics back on and went to the try the new shower and .... nothing no water, no light on the shower box. So we have just spent our Friday night buying a new shower for £70 and installing all to no avail.
Hubby says he is going to buy a new ceiling box tomorrow and see if that helps. Before we did that wondered if you had any ideas/clues as to what the problem is.
Much appreciated, Alison

Sponsored Links
Is the light still illuminating on the ceiling switch? If he feels able to, test the supply to the switch with a multimeter, see if there's 240v there. Not advised if he is unsure though, otherwise he will shake hands with the powerstation and its not pleasant....

Hi, yes the light is illuminated on the ceiling box but not on the shower box. We dont have a multimeter. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

you have a loose wire in the pullcord/switch.

isolate the power at the consumer unit for the shower and open the pullcord etc and tighten the wires and check for blackened connections.

I phoned Triton they said sounds like the solonoid and a part would be £35 plus postage.
won't be a solenoid valve is the power light isn't on on the shower unit.
smiley_128.gif

Sponsored Links
Thank you, we will try that in the morning. So you are saying that it is possible for the ceiling box to illuminate but have loose wires and therefore not enough power to go all the way to the shower itself? Wouldnt loose wires cause a trip downstairs? I guess not neccessarily.

Thank you once again for taking time to reply.

So you are saying that it is possible for the ceiling box to illuminate but have loose wires and therefore not enough power to go all the way to the shower itself?

poss the loose wire is on the load side not the supply.

Wouldnt loose wires cause a trip downstairs? I guess not neccessarily.

Thank you once again for taking time to reply.

a trip is useally caused by wires shorting not loose connection.
either wire is loose or the pullcord is knackered or burnt etc.

thanks again - will report back once we have had another look in the morning. Fingers crossed we are able to resolve it ourselves.

thank you very much for your help - you were right there was blackened wires in the ceilibng box, hubby cut this right back and reattached a new box. So although we replaced the shower which we didnt need to I am just thrilled that we have a working shower again and I dont have to drive 3 miles down the road to my Mums for a shower each morning!
Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back