Electric shower question

My choices are:

Get a higher rated CU that allows 2 showers to be fitted but not used at the same time (not ideal and wont get past BC).
The rating of the CU itself is not your problem. It is the ability of the incoming supply to support two showers plus the rest of the house

Get a thermostatic shower fitted. (But gas cost is higher than electric).

Eh? where did you get that from. Electricity cost per KWh is nearly twice that of gas.
You already have and instant heat gas boiler (your combi), that is going to be much cheaper per shower than another electric shower.

Sponsored Links
CU due to be changed soon as well as the 60A main fuse.
You've arranged that with the DNO then? OOI, how much are they charging you?

previous used to be a 10.5kw which was replaced as broke down but used to trip after 10 mins of continued use understandable as needs 40a mcb
You really should brush up your basic arithmetic skills...

on 32a mcb (which is wrong on paper).
No - plain wrong, not just "on paper". Contravenes the Wiring Regulations and if you have a piece of paper which says otherwise it's a falsehood.

Do you know what size cable the circuit uses, and how it's installed, i.e. buried in plaster/running through thermal insulation/clipped to the surface/etc?

Get a higher rated CU that allows 2 showers to be fitted
TTC has addressed that.

but not used at the same time
I'm curious to know how you think it could prevent them both being used together

(not ideal and wont get past BC).
Do you mean you think it would be so unsafe as to be illegal?

gas cost is higher than electric
Eh? where did you get that from. Electricity cost per KWh is nearly twice that of gas.
Actually it's about 4x the price per kWh, so as the combi will be < 4x the power of the shower it will cost less to run, (but work much better).

Sponsored Links
As in a caravan, if it can be gas heated it should be. Electric costs a lot more. I would never go back to electric showers. Thermostatic Mixer showers are soooo much better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back