Electric shower question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Need some advice on showers.

My CU will need to be upgraded and i have a 9.5kw shower in the house, i plan to install another one as will.

Will i be able to add the second showers to an uprated CU unit?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Round figures 9.5kW = 40A so two = 80A now incoming DNO fuse will be in a 100A holder but anywhere between 60 and 100 amp. This is more of an issue than the CU. Also why second shower. My mothers house has three showers, one is hot water supplied, one in bath, and one in bedroom there is no way all three will be used together as only one person lives in the house so there is no problem as far as overloading the DNO fuse.

But with 5 in the house then it would be very different. As far as the CU goes you can have 12 showers as long as no more than 3 used together. I would consider using hot water rather than direct electric, one because they are better anyway, and two because the load is less even if the water is electric heated.

Sponsored Links
Eric's observation implies that there might be an opportune time for the service fuse to blow leaving at (least :giggle:) two wet and soapy people in the showers and no electricity for hours.

Will i be able to add the second showers to an uprated CU unit?.
Some consumer units might be suitable for such loads, but this is only one of several things to consider.

What cooking appliances are in the building - hob electric/gas, oven single/double, gas/electric, freestanding cooker etc?
How is the building heated?
What is the mains water pressure and flow?

Electric showers are poo. Especially in winter. I have a thermostatic mixer shower running off a 28kw combi boiler. Far better than a piddly 9.5kw shower and no dodgy contacts to burn out. You must get a thermostatic model with a combi boiler or the temperature will be all over.

Will i be able to add the second showers to an uprated CU unit?.
Some consumer units might be suitable for such loads, but this is only one of several things to consider.

What cooking appliances are in the building - hob electric/gas, oven single/double, gas/electric, freestanding cooker etc?
How is the building heated?
What is the mains water pressure andElectrib flow?

Ceramic hob at 32a /electric oven at 32a never had isssues as don't use at same time and on same mcb.
Building is gas throgh combi
Water mains pressure is fine..
Curently use a 9.5kw shower on 10mm2 cable short run cable and only on a 32a mcb (works fine)

Only have a 60A fuse box which will be replaced.

Ceramic hob at 32a /electric oven at 32a never had isssues as don't use at same time and on same mcb.
2 electric showers cannot be fitted.

Building is gas throgh combi.
Use that for one of the showers.

CWater mains pressure is fine...
Meaningless, pressure and flow need to be measured when in use and at different times of the day.

Curently use a 9.5kw shower on 10mm2 cable short run cable and only on a 32a mcb (works fine)
A 32A MCB is not suitable for a 9.5kW shower, and if it's the same MCB being used for the cooking appliances it was installed by someone who either had no idea what the were doing, did not care, or both.

But they don't draw as much as a shower. The oven, particularly, will be nowhere near as much - it is much less than a 32A load. The hob will also be less. The two together are probably a load of about 20A.

Building is gas throgh combi
As flameport says - use that for a shower.

Curently use a 9.5kw shower on a 32a mcb
And a 9.5kW shower draws how many amps?

Only have a 60A fuse box which will be replaced.
1) That won't change the rating of the service fuse.

2) Do not get the idiot who installed the shower to change the CU.

2 electric showers cannot be fitted.

Building is gas throgh combi.
Use that for one of the showers.

CWater mains pressure is fine...
Meaningless, pressure and flow need to be measured when in use and at different times of the day.

A 32A MCB is not suitable for a 9.5kW shower, and if it's the same MCB being used for the cooking appliances it was installed by someone who either had no idea what the were doing, did not care, or both.

Yes i know.

CU due to be changed soon as well as the 60A main fuse.

Current shower working fine for 5 years, 9.5kw (previous used to be a 10.5kw which was replaced as broke down but used to trip after 10 mins of continued use understandable as needs 40a mcb) on 32a mcb (which is wrong on paper).
Cooker hob and oven on separate 32a mcb 6mm2 cable feed.

Above was done years ago before i bought the house.

My choices are:

Get a higher rated CU that allows 2 showers to be fitted but not used at the same time (not ideal and wont get past BC).
Get a thermostatic shower fitted. (But gas cost is higher than electric).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back