electric shower replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good afternoon all, just wanted some advice. currently having my kitchen refurbished and we are now on the second fix phase with the kitchen going in etc.

part of the refurb has been to run a new 10mm/2 cable for the electric shower, however as the electricians said at the time, the shower was old (15 years old) and may suffer from damage if they take it off the wall to get the new cable in.

true to their word, it did go wrong. a couple of days later, the shower decided to turn itself on and refused to turn off until we hit the isolator switch. likely solenoid problem however not worth repairing it due to the age of the shower.

gone out a got a new one made sure that the inlet is facing the right way and they did say if they have time they will fit it for me tomorrow but any additional work would be a different quote.

my worry is from a plumbing point of view. whoever did the bathroom before we moved in, decided to run copper half way up the wall then added a flexi tap connector where it comes out the wall. screwed the male end of a compression fitting to it and the other connected as per normal to the shower inlet.

is this normal practice for that time? my worry is that if they put on a new compression elbow the connector will leak due to age and perishing of the washer.

worst case I'm thinking in my head that a section of the pipework will need to be replaced and the only economical way would be to a cut a section of the stud wall in the next room where the pipe can be accessed to save damaging the tiled bathroom.

my question is that am I overcomplicating this or should I stop panicking and let them fit the new unit.

worse case, from a pro plumbers point of view, is a massive ass job cutting maybe a 30cmsx 15cms hoe in the stud wall to replace the section of pipe.

thank you very much for your help

Sponsored Links
Nope, would have got them out of a jam at the time but you'd never have a flexi pipe inside a wall that's under mains pressure. Recipe for a wet disaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back