Electric Shower turning itself on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

I had a new Triton Aspirante electric shower installed 3 months ago and all has been fine until yesterday. Over the last 24 hours the shower randomly switches itself on (the last time being at 4:30 this morning !). I could understand it cutting out when in use if flow is restricted and it overheats etc but am stumped as to why it would turn itself ON , any ideas as to why would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not possible to diagnose from afar, maybe - just guessing - faulty internal electronics which cause the flow switch to operate when it shouldn't?.

Clearly item needs safely removing and returning, did you buy it yourself and have it installed or did the installer supply it?

Blup

Thanks for your response , I bought the shower myself and had it installed when my bathroom was renovated. My kids are now convinced there is a ghost in the house :)
Guess I will turn power off to the shower and check internal wiring first , could it possibly be a faulty solenoid ?

It has a phased shutdown to prevent the retention of hot water which could scald when the next user turns the shower on, that component might be faulty.

You might invalidate the warranty (and possibly yourself!) if you start poking about the innards, it has a two year warranty so you should get your money back or a replacement.

Blup

Sponsored Links
yeah you're probably right , will keep an eye on it and if it continues will contact the retailer I got it from . Or i could just use the pull switch after every shower :(

I had a new Triton Aspirante electric shower installed 3 months ago and all has been fine until yesterday. Over the last 24 hours the shower randomly switches itself on (the last time being at 4:30 this morning !)
Do you mean it turns fully on, or that a few seconds of drips come from it randomly? We're on our second one of these showers (the pcb got damp in the first one) and both have done the random drips thing but never full flow. The isolator on ours is always off when not in use tho.

you are supposed to turn the pull switch off after any use anyway, that is why it is there, it cant come on if it doesnt have any power, not just your model , all electric showers

Do you mean it turns fully on, or that a few seconds of drips come from it randomly? We're on our second one of these showers (the pcb got damp in the first one) and both have done the random drips thing but never full flow. The isolator on ours is always off when not in use tho.

It turns fully on as if the power switch on the unit had been pressed

you are supposed to turn the pull switch off after any use anyway, that is why it is there, it cant come on if it doesnt have any power, not just your model , all electric showers

Understood, would still like to understand how this shower is randomly switching itself on however .

Agree there is a fault with the shower as it shouldnt do that, just wondered if when the ghost switched it on , someone had flushed a toilet or run a tap somewhere else in the house

Agree there is a fault with the shower as it shouldnt do that, just wondered if when the ghost switched it on , someone had flushed a toilet or run a tap somewhere else in the house

No I don't think so but will check the next time it happens ! , all very strange indeed .
I guess we will have to get into the habit of using the isolator switch before and after using the shower :)
The pull cord switch is mounted on the wall rather than the ceiling so I forsee the cord being yanked too hard by the kids and the faceplate having to be replaced fairly regularly :(

I now have the same problem and same shower , did you find out what it was or did you just replace thanks ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back