Electric Shower Wiring

Ban

Having installed a new MK CU last week, I am not too impressed. When I had finished installing the components, they were all leaning to the right, and looked a pig's ear, not improved by fitting the blanks and cover...which was a pig to fit.

Also, the screws on the outgoing RCBO terminals were fiddly to do up. Could have done with space to use a larger diameter driver.

Sponsored Links
When fitting my 45A pull switch, can I mount it directly to the ceiling (after cutting out the appropriate lump of ceiling), or do I have to use a mounting box?

If I need a mounting box, should I go for the

32mm version

or the

16mm version?

Thanks

1) You'll probably find it easier to get 10mm cable fitted in if you use a 40 or 45mm box.

2) Buy more than 1 box in case you break one or two.

3) Don't buy from Screwfix unless they can assure you that the box and the switch are the same make, 'cos if they're not you may find that the corners have different radii, and the plastics are different shades of white...

Sponsored Links
breezer said:

No!!!!

DEFINATELY 45/6mm, 32mm too shallow, and impossible for 10mm2, and if you've got 16, well, start "effing" now....

If you want to recess, there's no reason why you shouldn't recess a metal box (to sturdy timber frame).

Don't recommend dryline boxes, because of the downward forces involved.

One of the best CU currently on the market is the Memera 2000. For a 12 way split it will cost you approx £35 + VAT, breakers are £3.50 plus VAT. When using a shower, the use of a RCD is a pre-requisite. An Electrician that hasn't completed the work for you WILL NOT be able to give you an Installation Certificate (the one you need), he will only be able to provide a Periodic Inspection Report. Remember, you are most vulnerable when you are in a shower or bath. If in doubt, leave well alone.

recs said:
When using a shower, the use of a RCD is a pre-requisite.
No it isn't, it's merely advisable.

An Electrician that hasn't completed the work for you WILL NOT be able to give you an Installation Certificate (the one you need)
Why do you need an Installation Certificate?

The provision of any new circuit should be accompanied by an Electrical Installation Certificate. If an item of equipment is merely replaced (such as a light fitting, socket face etc) then a Minor Works certificate should be issued. This is clearly stated in BS7671 and in Guidance notes 3

As far as a shower is concerned, the advice largely depends upon which distribution company you come under. However, as a room conatining a bath or shower is an area of increased risk, and a shower has a maximum disconnection time of 5 seconds, I wouldn't like to be under a shower for 5 seconds if a fault develop. If you read back through your various editions of the regulations, the 15th edition stipulated that when an electric shower is installed, then an Earth Leakage Device should also be installed. The new name for an Earth Leakage Device is RCD. Any electrician fitting an electric shower on a TT system without going through a RCD, in my view should not be practising as an electrician. He obviously does not fully understand the dangers associated with the installation and probably does not understand his responsibilities as laid out under The Health & Safety at Work etc Act.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back