electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am replacing my old 7kw shower unit for a mira 9kw unit will the old cable be ok ? what size should the cable be ?.thanks

Sponsored Links
7kw = 7000/230 = 30 amps
9kw = 9000/230 = 40 amps

Very dependant on what the cable is going through to get to the shower. If existing cable is 10mm twin/earth that will handle 40 amps unless it is buried in insulation in a wall somewhere along its route ,or has >100mm insulation on top of it and it's in a ceiling. So you really want a 10mm cable with no insulation on a 40amp breaker to do a straight swap.

If you have 6mm cable then unless it's on the surface all the way then it isn't rated for 40 amps so not usable for this application.

The On Site Guide will give you all the info you need, get it off amazon and it will let you work it out yourself.

will the old cable be ok ?
What size is the existing fuse/MCB? Is the circuit RCD protected? The MI will almost definitely say the new shower must be protected by an RCD which is definitely a very good idea anyway.

Assuming it is a 9kW shower (@240v) then you will require a 40A MCB. If your existing shower is 7kW then it's quite likely it could be on a 32A MCB. I think it is quite unlikely your existing cable is up to the job or they may have fitted a higher rated shower in the first instance.

what size should the cable be ?
This depends on the circuit length and its route through the house. Most likely the length will not be a problem in terms of volt drop. But does the cable run through/on top of any insulation?

6mm² t+e is good for 47A when clipped direct. But you may only have 4mm² t+e. If this is the case and you also end up having to increase your MCB/fuse size then i'd end up employing the services of an electrician and replace the cable with a 10mm². It will allow you to have a larger (say 10.5kW shower) without any problems.

Bear in mind that if you want to start replacing cables and OCPD then the work become notifiable and that you will need to install an RCD if one is not already in place. In this case it would be much cheaper to use the services of an electrician that can self certify through their scheme provider, rather than pay your fee to the LABC and get them come to inspect your work.

Sponsored Links
I am replacing my old 7kw shower unit for a mira 9kw unit will the old cable be ok ?

crystal_ball_LG.jpg

what size should the cable be ?.thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back