electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all.

I have removed an old electric shower from my downstairs toilet..

the cable 10mm goes back to the consumer unit to a 30 amp fuse.

the old shower had the cable directly wired in to it & you simple turned the "on swith" hey presto hot water..

my dilema comes from my father in~llaw who said that I need to buy a shower with a pull cord so that the power from the fuse box to the shower isnt always ON......

I would like to know the correct way of doing it & would welcome all advice...

ta BLUEBLOB :p

Sponsored Links
with the new building regs Part P, you will need to will need to notify council building dept. to get planning permission, or get a qualified sparky to do the job.
basically the requirements are :- circuit should be protected by a 30ma rcd, controlled by a double pole switch, adequatly bonded.
hope this helps

The question and the answer need more information. You are both wrong.
Dwain. Where have you got that info from?

first bit ELECSA site
http://www.elecsa.org.uk/Householder.asp
With a few exceptions any electrical work undertaken in your home which includes the addition of a new electrical circuit, or involves work in your:
Kitchen
Bathroom
garden area
must from 1st January 2005 be reported to the Local Authority Building Control for inspection. This includes work undertaken professionally, by yourself or another family member or friend.

second bit from IEE onsite guide

Sponsored Links
1) Don't rely on scheme organiser's websites for accurate information on Part P. But in this case they are right - installing a new electric shower is notifiable. (But you don't need planning permission!)

2) DP isolation switch is required by the wiring regulations, and an RCD, although not required, is a Good Idea™

Thank you for your help....

SO do i do it in this order...

Consumer unit to circuit breaker to pull cord to shower ?

do I have to use the 10mm cable all the way through !

no there isnt anything at the moment just the Consumer unit on yje 30 amp fuse with the 10mm wire sticking out of the wall..

so this is what I have to do...

Consumer unit.....>.....cut into 10mm cable & install rcb....> then connect the double pole swicth....> .....then install a shower....all on the existing 10mm cable.

thank you Mr Cat!!!!....

sorry to be a numpty could you please confirm wot I wrote :) :rolleyes: :

and also any idea which shower i should install.

thanks again for your help ;)

this is how it should look
http://beta9.picturehost.co.uk/shower.JPG
modern showers are usually rated around 8.5 KW upwards. to work out what current it uses divide power by 240 ( i.e. for 8.5KW, divide 8500 by 240 = 35.41A. for 9.5KW, 9500/240 = 39.58A ) Therefore you will need a fuse or MCB greater than this, ie 45A.
For a rough idea of whats available try diy.com (B&Q site). a local electrical wholesaler probably knows what sells most and has a decent reputation

thanks yet again Dwain...you helped this numpty big style!!

this is an excellent site well done to all of you who contribute & I am now going on the snorkle & custard site for some kinky stuff!!!! :p :p :p :D

excuse me for being picky, the load of the shower should be divided by 230.. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back