Shower Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. First time poster.

I am fitting a new shower in my bathroom and would like to confirm that my electrics will be adequate.

It’s an 8.5kw shower. I have 10mm cable twin and earth. It will go to its own miniature circuit breaker on the circuit board which I believe should be 40 amps for this shower.

I have also purchased a pull cord isolation switch rated at 50 amps to fit on the ceiling between the shower and the fuse box.

Can I verify that these figures are OK?

Many thanks for your comments.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks.

The pipes are bonded in the airing cupboard. Do you recommend more bonding in the bathroom?

jj4091 said:
Yes but don't forget the earth bonding.

Don't forget that earthing and bonding are different things! ;)

(He meant supplementary equipotential bonding in accordance with reg 601-04-01)

Sponsored Links
You need to include your new shower circuit in the supplementary bonding of the bathroom. The requirement is to bond all extraneous conductive parts (i.e. metallic pipework, metalic building structure) together and to the CPC (earth) of all circuits supplying class 1&2 equipment in the bathroom zones. You should also note that installing an electric shower is notifiable to your Local Area Building Control office under part P of the building regs.
Also read the wiki!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back