electric steering honda civic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi has anyone got any idea, or come across a problem with the eps system on a civic?, occassionaly when starting up the eps light comes on and its very hard to move the steering on the last occasion it cleared its self simply by restarting the engine and it was back to normal help!!

Sponsored Links
I've only had this issue when the PAS oil was too hot or the level was too low.....several electric PAS systems operate a second or two after the engine has started up though.
John :)

Hi thanks for reply, as I understand the civic 06 it's an electric steering box so fluid would not be the issue I'm still non the wiser help!!

Ahh sorry for the confusion - the drive motor is fixed directly to the rack itself on these, isn't it.
I've no idea mate and I think its out of the reach of the average diyer too.
If it was mine, I'd be heading for a Honda main dealer for the diagnosis - the chances are, they've seen it before.
Honda are also one of the best at out of warranty repairs too, so you could get lucky!
John

Sponsored Links
Hi John, yeah unfortunatley I've already done that they gave us grave news said it could be elec steering box replacement or the ecu not to sure what roll the ecu has to do with it I was hopping maybe someone had come across this prob the cost is horrendous!!

Before you dive in mate, just check out BBA-Reman......a first class firm for issues like these.
John :)

Hi John thanks for your tip about BBA an excellent service it could well be one or the other I need to find the original Honda ecu module number so the correct one can be sourced there are 5 different types do you know if the ecu can be seen from bottom of engine area I've got the coatings for the rack saved around £500 against Honda price,problem is the ecu is very expensive if I can't find the ecu number, and would have to get from Honda.
Cheers Rich

Sponsored Links
Back