Electric to the garage; safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can someone help me out?

I know what I am carrying out will not meet correct UK standards for wiring etc, but its a quick fix, which will be removed eventually. I am looking to put a switched light and a switched plug into the garage....I have done a quick diagram (attached) of how things are running at the minute (no power on yet) just doing the layup; my questions are;

1) Will this work?

2) Is it safe?

3) Does the earth wire need to run to the socket?

From these questions and my diagram you have probably picked up that I am not an electrician; just a normal guy who wants to see what the hell he is doing in his garage in the wee small hours :) -

Cheers

Ash

Attachments

• Wire.JPG
    Wire.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 250
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Lmao! Well there you go, told you I'm not a sparky ..... Can someone give me a clue as to where to atart .....thank you

Don't even attempt to install anything. Use an extension cable (plugged into a socket with RCD protection on) and don't try running a heater on the end of it unless it is at least 2.5mm

There are some really helpful professional electricians on this site who will able to help. :)

Im not an electrician, but I would interested to know what advice they give.

Some things are worth sending money on (ie potentially fatal electrical work).

From your first diagram the best bet really is just get an electrician in to sort or run an extension cable as said above.

The earth is the most important part safety wise imho..

For £350, I had an electrician fit an external socket, and a socket in my shed. It included proper paperwork, and 40m of SWA. If you have that done, more lights and sockets can be added. If you have space on the CU, and it's convenient, you could do it that way.

(I used this solution, rather than running cable from the CU because I had no spare ways on the CU; and the CU was the wrong end of the house.)

I know what I am carrying out will not meet correct UK standards for wiring etc,
Don't do it then.

but its a quick fix,
which like most 'temporary' installations will be in use for 30 years.

There are two ways to install electrical circuits:
the correct way.
or not at all.

Unlike most other DIY work, mistakes with electricity kill people.

The standards for temporary installations (like building sites) can be higher than those of a "normal" one, as such installs tend to get a lot of stick.

Thanks for replies (and links) people - Think I'll do a bit more reading before i go any further with it; at least I know where to start with that :mrgreen:

Your best bet (for many reasons) for that job is find an electrician local to you, tell them what you want and get them to price for it. You'll be able to save some money by digging the trench for the cable yourself (to their specification) but that's probably about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back