Checking Underground Cable to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I just wanted to post a quick question concerning my electrics to the garage.

My son has just moved into a new house and the switch on the fuse board for the garage is taped down and says do not use.

When I look at the electrics in the garage I can confirm that everything needs pulling out and running again. So I have no issues with rewiring the garage to suit. However, the cable that runs underneath the ground to feed the garage I'm not too sure about. When i looked at it yesterday, it is a 2 core cable, black and red wires only no earth. The earth is connected to the metal box the wire is terminated in and run to a spike in the ground.

Is this wire still OK for feeding the garage as it will be almost impossible to rerun a new one as its almost 150ft from the house? If so, can the wire be tested to ensure it is OK?

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is this wire still OK for feeding the garage
That depends on the type of cable, size of the conductors and the condition of it.
Where it is connected in the house is also relevant, as is what you intend to install and use in the garage.

Thanks for the reply. It is connect directly to the fuse board in the house on its own trip. I cant tell you the condition of the cable as it is buried from when it leaves the fuseboard until it appears in the garage. I will try and get some pictures posted later today.

Sponsored Links
Pictures don't butter any parsnips, as they say.

You need an insulation resistance tester and a low ohm resistance tester. Only that can tell you the health of the cable.

I'm guessing you dont have that sort of thing hanging about?
Thought not.

Then the connection at the house end need verifying. Is it SWA cable? is the steel armour earthed at the house end - let's bloomin hope so!

Then you have to consider what to do with the garage. It sounds like it has been installed as a TT. This is OK, but it sounds like it needs replacing, you need someone who knows what they are doing as safety is paramount.

My thoughts: You need someone with the right test equipment for the first stage, and a competent person for the second. Sorry, but you really should contact a registered electrician to help you out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back