Running new power to detached Garage/Art Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iDIY

Hi All

I have removed an old detached garage to make way for a new build garage and art studio. The old garage had electrical power to lights and sockets fed directly from the house consumer unit. The cables were run through a plastic 2in pipe buried between the house and garage. It left house through foundations 500mm below ground and entered garage even deeper below ground.

Can I simply do a pull through using the old cables to install a new separate feed to a new consumer unit in the Garage/studio or is something more than the 2in plastic pipe required under building regs?

Sponsored Links
Suck it and see, you might have to excavate any bends. And leave a draw rope for future use.

I would replace the individual circuits with a single armoured cable to a small CU in the new building. You should also consider installing phone and data cables

Last edited:
I have removed an old detached garage to make way for a new build garage and art studio.
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say, or by default allow them to assume, would be the way you would ensure compliance with Part P?

If you go and do something other than what they are expecting you to do you could end up not getting the new build signed off.

When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say, or by default allow them to assume, would be the way you would ensure compliance with Part P?

If you go and do something other than what they are expecting you to do you could end up not getting the new build signed off.

The clue is in the question, I have just cleared the site. I have not even arranged a BCO be it private or council. This is prep work to get me ready for that.

Sponsored Links
Well, you might think that "I have removed an old detached garage to make way for a new build garage and art studio" tells people that you haven't yet applied for Building Regulations approval for the new building, but I'm not sure that would be widely agreed.

So....

When you apply for Building Regulations approval, what will you say, or by default allow them to assume, will be the way you would ensure compliance with Part P? If it's 'use a registered electrician' you should get him engaged now, as he may want to assure himself of the route of the ducting, and, of course, he has to be the one to work out the cable size(s).

I would strongly advise that any new-cable pulling be attempted asap - if it turns out that full or partial excavation of the route is required that will be much better, and probably cheaper, done as part and parcel of the build.

I think you are reading far too much into my question, as I said, there is existing cabling in a 2 in plastic duct. I simply asked if that plastic duct would be suitable for the new cable as far as building regs are concerned.

I see no point in this forum if the best people can do is tell others what they did wrong after they screwed a job up, that’s why I ask questions before i do.

I think you are reading far too much into my question, as I said, there is existing cabling in a 2 in plastic duct. I simply asked if that plastic duct would be suitable for the new cable as far as building regs are concerned.
A plastic duct does not generally provide any meaningful degree of 'mechanical protection'. Cables within such ducts are therefore usually only acceptable, in terms of the regs, if they would be acceptable if buried directly in the ground - and 'SWA' (steel wire armoured) cable is on eof the few common types of cable that fits that bill.

Kind Regards, John

I see no point in this forum if the best people can do is tell others what they did wrong after they screwed a job up, that’s why I ask questions before i do.
Who is this git?

Get rid of him.

Nor is there any point to it if people are going to get bent out of shape when asked about, or have pointed out to them, other relevant, important factors which they may not have considered.

YOU were the one who asked about Building Regulations compliance, so what is so wrong with you being asked about other Building Regulations compliance issues which could cause you grief? Do you have any idea how many people think that they can DIY and then "get an electrician to sign it off"? You could easily be such a one, we don't know, so rather than screw up the job of giving you good advice I asked the question. Would you rather find out the hard way that you had screwed up because it doesn't work like that?

I think he is probably yet another newbie who is close to being frightened off because his first post in this forum resulted in somewhat of an 'interrogation'.

Kind Regards, John

Trust me John, I'm far too long in the tooth to be even remotely frightened off by the keyboard warriors. I'll keep asking questions in all areas of the forum on the different aspects of my project. There are plenty of very knowledgable posters on the forum who are able to respond in the appropriate way.

I think he is probably yet another newbie who is close to being frightened off because his first post in this forum resulted in somewhat of an 'interrogation'.
Please show where he has been 'interrogated'.

Trust me John, I'm far too long in the tooth to be even remotely frightened off by the keyboard warriors.
Maybe you are (as am I!), and that's great, but, as you may have gleaned from what I wrote, the problem is that new members of a lot shorter teeth and thinner skins regularly find themselves on the receiving end of exactly the same as you were (which appears, as a verbatim copy/paste, at least once per week) and I feel sure that at least some of them are 'frightened off' and are thereby denied what, otherwise, could be a very valuable source of information and advice for them.

Kind Regards, John

Which of these are a "verbatim copy/paste"?
Suck it and see, you might have to excavate any bends. And leave a draw rope for future use.

I would replace the individual circuits with a single armoured cable to a small CU in the new building. You should also consider installing phone and data cables
A plastic duct does not generally provide any meaningful degree of 'mechanical protection'. Cables within such ducts are therefore usually only acceptable, in terms of the regs, if they would be acceptable if buried directly in the ground - and 'SWA' (steel wire armoured) cable is on eof the few common types of cable that fits that bill.

Kind Regards, John
Who is this git?

Get rid of him.

Kind Regards, John
Please elucidate.

Because they were the only posts here not made by me (or the OP), and since, as I was the one who typed mine, I know that none of them were "verbatim copy/pastes", so you can only be referring to one of the ones above.

So come on - tell us which one(s) it was. And while you are at it, show that whichever one it was appears at least once per week.

Or admit that this:
Maybe you are (as am I!), and that's great, but, as you may have gleaned from what I wrote, the problem is that new members of a lot shorter teeth and thinner skins regularly find themselves on the receiving end of exactly the same as you were (which appears, as a verbatim copy/paste, at least once per week) and I feel sure that at least some of them are 'frightened off' and are thereby denied what, otherwise, could be a very valuable source of information and advice for them.
was utter rubbish.

Your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back