Electric Towel Heater.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is in the wrong place :confused:

Two years ago I had an electric towel heater installed in the Bathroom. It is a small ladder type, that was filled with water.

My question is should I have been topping it up? :oops: :eek:

Returned from holiday yesterday to find it making strange noises, so have turned it off.

Thanks in anticipation

Ella:)

Sponsored Links
Er.... is it also connected to the central heating? If so it is likely that it has an air bubble in it. On top of one of the "legs" you'll see a valve with a little square peg. Go and buy a radiator bleed key (the most useful little household tool you can own) and turn the peg anticlockwise to let out the air. Job done.

Hi:)
Thanks for your response.

No it is not connected to the central heating. Stand alone one, well not totally stand alone as it is connected to an electrical socket :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about heated towel rails but I'm pretty sure it isn't filled with water. Could be filled with oil though like my electric radiators. They do make a crackling noise when heating up, which I think is caused by the same phenomenon, which makes a boiling kettle crackle. Does this help?

Thanks again for coming back :)

It always made a slight noise when heating up but recently the noise was different, and louder - sorry that isn't much help is it :oops:

I am sure the electrician filled it with water ...............

Thanks again for trying to help:)

They are filled with oil if factory assembled, or filled with water ufdual purpose [can be electric or run from central heating]. You could open up and check the water level, can leak a little [vapour escapes] after prolonged use.

Open it up :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do I just unscrew the bolt thingy on the top?

Sorry for all the question but I am grateful for the responses :oops:

It is wired to a socket thingy is what I meant :LOL: ! Not a socket socket - gosh I am sooooooooooooooo technical :oops: The wire goes through the bathroom wall, to a sockety type thingy :rolleyes:

I thought I had kept the 'paper work' that came with it but I can't find it - which of course is nothing to do with the state of my house :LOL:

There's no reason why it shouldn't be filled with water, although oil is the standard fluid. I suspect that you do have water in it, paticularly if thats what you saw the installer put in it.

The problem is either insufficient fluid or electrical of some sort. You will know if its insufficient fluid by comparing the temperature of the rail by hand feel. If the top does not warm up, it is because the fluid has leaked away and the heat stops at the level of the fluid.

If the heater feels the same (approx) from top to bottom you should ask an electrically knowledgeable and properly equipped person to drain it and check the heater element and thermostat.

Thank you everyone:)

So if I unscrew the top thingy ( even I wouldn't unscrew the bottom because all the water would fall out :LOL: ) and check the level, top it up and turn it back on .................... I will have done all I can?

You should not fill it right to the very top. The water needs a bit of room to expand, but yes, just unscrew one of the nut thingies on the top of the radiator, and see how full the rad is at the moment.

It would be a very poor design and install if it was a rad filled with water.

Any chance of a photo of two, expecially the element end and the top?

The element is inside isn't it? From (diminishing) memory it went up one of the bottom holes, with the lead attached........

Will take a picture and try and upload :D

Thanks again everyone for your help! :D

Anyone in West Sussex want to come and just fix it for moi :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back