electric transformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not know a lot about electrics so I am hoping someone can help. I have just had a new bathroom fitted with six downlights each light being 20 volts. They came in a multipack with a transformer and the electrician duly fitted them. All was well for about three weks then the lights went off. He told me the transformer had gone and this happens quite often. I bought a new one that takes up to 150 volts and this one too he tells me is faulty. It was not cheap £20.00. Now he suggests each light has its own transformer as I could replace yet another main transformer skim and paint my ceiling for it to all happen again in a few months which I obviously dont want. Is this safe and advisable. Are these transformers really very unreliable. I am losing faith in him is that fair?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
I see people are being helpful on this :rolleyes:

It appears you have some confusion on terminology. I assume you mean 20W and 150W, it's probably 12V.
W=Watts, a measure of power.
V-Volts, a measure of potential.

A 150W transformer should be able to supply 6off 20W lights - 6x20W=120W. What I find confusing is the comment about having to skim and paint the ceiling, is the only way to access the transformer to hack a hole in the ceiling ? If so, then I'd suggest you find another electrician - I'm fairly certain it's not considered acceptable to make something like a lighting transformer so inaccessible.

Also, if the transformer is in the ceiling, is it buried in insulation ? If so, then it could simply be overheating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back