Electric underfloor heating under laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Simple enough question.
I have to put an electric underfloor mat in under a laminate floor.
Question is, does it go under or over the underlay which goes under the laminate?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Heat the room, basically.
We have water based ufh on most of our new build but rushed into the first section and didn't heat it. So we have a suitably sized heating mat, and are just trying to work out which layer goes where.

Sponsored Links
In the main there are instructions which says what glues can be used and what the mat is in-bedded in. I know with the one I fitted first job was band jack on the floor and 9" of polystyrene to stop heat going down.

As @flameport says the results were disappointing, we has tiles above it. The main problem is the 27°C limit for the floor, I made a mistake the pocket for the senser was too steep of a curve and I was unable to renew it when it failed. The Reychem type does not need the senser.

Main problem was slow response time, from switch on to feeling warmth on tile was around an hour, and to warm room 4 - 6 hours, lucky also towel rail in the room, and we found because of the 9" of polystyrene the floor felt warm even when UFH switched off.

There is a case for UFH with a heat pump, the lower water temperature makes the heat pump more efficient, as long as every room has it, no good if mixed with radiators. But the delay is the real problem, great for an old peoples home where heating on all day, but today the idea is speed, so when it senses your phone is within the geofence it turns on heating which needs speed to work.

Disappointment is the likely outcome.
As Flameport indicates. Despite the maker's claims, trying to heat a large space with elecgtric UFH is only going to make you with that you had a thicker sweater on. In my experience, they are fine to warm your feet as you stagger from bed to the dunny but, really, think about it.

Most electric UFH mats are around 150watts per m². Thats about the same as a couple of old-style light bulbs per square meter. Nobody in their right mind would try and heat a room, of any size, by turning on a few light bulbs!

Seriously, rethink your plan. You are better off doing it properly (extending the existing heating system) or get a panel heater or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back