Electric underfloor heating with engineered wooden floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm moving to a new flat, modern purpose built block with concrete floors and carpets. I want to replace the carpets with floating engineered wooden floors but I also want to install electric underfloor heating (for comfort only, the main heating is gas + radiators). So we are looking at max 100W/m2.

I also need to install some good sound insulation to make sure my downstairs neighbours don't get any impact noise.

I'm thinking of using something like Interfloor's Silentfloor Gold as the sound insulation layer (also has a vapour proof membrane) directly on the concrete. But then can I lay the electric heating mat directly on this, and the wooden floor boards on top? Do I need to add some sort of thermal layer, and if so, where (under or over the sound insulation layer)?

Thanks

Leo

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I bought some Engineered oak form this company called Naken Interiors and laid it on underfloor heating. It has been down sometime now and have had no problems. They say you shouldn't lay solid wood on underfloor heating though.

I have a link; http://www.naken.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_66_99

They also sell Polyfoam Acoustic underlay for timber flooring in their accessories.

I hope this helps,
Danny

Hi Leo,

The gold Silentfloor range will let some heat through but I would normally recommend a thinner underlay so the heat can get through with less interruption.

With sound insulation you would need a thicker underlay but with heat you would normally want a thinner underlay so the heat can get through.

You will have to forego the heat or the sound quality’s as you will find it difficult to achieve both.

You would normally lay the electric pads first, then the underlay then the flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back