Electric underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I am about to rip out my bathroom and replace with a nice new one this will include tiling the floor and replacing the radiator, I was kinda wondering what the electric undefloor heating was like is it any good ?
the floor measures 2sqMetres so not a very big space and cheap to buy (£30) this amount of underfloor heating. so as always your comments will be gratefully received :D

Sponsored Links
Electric underfloor heating is much cheaper to install than wet, but it's also more expensive to run. It is suitable for keeping the floor warm, and when installed with a timer thermostat it will work just fine and not be too expensive to run. However, it is not a good way of heating a room, nor would it be cheap to use in this way.

Bear in mind that the subfloor will probably need insulating with Marmox boards, which will add extra floor height. The electrical work is also notifiable.

Also worth mentioning that you should ensure the kit you intend to purchase contains an earthed metallic screen. Some of the cheaper kits don't incorporate this feature.

Sponsored Links
And the circuit supplying the floor MUST be protected by a 30mA RCD.
You'll probably need to lay WBP ply on the floor first.

Installing electricity into the floor of a (potentially) wet area need some care and expertise. The last electric flooring that I installed stated that it must be installed by a registered electrician.

There is a good overview of the requirements here http://www.heatmat.co.uk/about-us/press-releases/underfloor-heating-iee-wiring-regulations.html

Thanks for your comments
I am re-thinking this idea due to the cost involved which is now reached £100 for a 1.5m2 strip in the bathroom and to employ an electrian, I think i`ll spend alot less that on insulating the floor :LOL:
thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back