Electric underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed underfloor heating to my lounge and the tiles after a couple of months have started to have air line cracks ?
When I installed them the main floor was floo boards so I installed 3/4 plyboard sheets across the whole room and fixed down ,I then painted the floor with heat reflective paint as described in the underfloor heating manual that came with the kit.
I installed the wire element to the exact spacing details in the manual and then used flexible adhesive which sas its compatable with underfloor heating I then laid the tiles and used flexible grout to finish the job.
I waited a few days before turning the heating on , the sensor for the heating is in the floor as described in the manaul.
All worked well until a few weeks ago approximately 3 months after the tiles have started to have air one cracks ? The heating still works perfect but we have stopped using the heated floor so no more tiles crack.
Is there a solution for this or some thing have done wrong ? and when I replace the tiles I assume I will end up breaking the heater wire getting the broken tiles up ?
Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
i feel sorry for you!. Another person that has realised how crap this system is. Saying that i may be jumping in to soon. Is this secondary heat sorce run a t maybe 18c or a main heat source run at 25c +

May i ask what you heating bills are like now compared to before?

As for your problem. It can be caused by a few things.

1- to much flex in the subfloor?
2- Running to hot or reducing temp and raising temp to much (3c per day?)
3- Incorrect air flow under the floors. Air bricks blocked or lack of air bricks
4- plywood not acclimatised, way to dry maybe or way to wet before it was installed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back