Electric vehicles an interesting video

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not condemning electric vehicle and would welcome links to other information

Sponsored Links
The growth of electric vehicles will be yet another money spinner for cronies in power.

look at how wind turbines have made money.

I watched the first half of an obviously biased video
It's also from an American POV - suggesting that the majority of homes use electricity for heating is a giveaway.
Suggesting that hydro is an environmental disaster when oil exploration has caused terrible damage?
Also, the claim that batteries are a fire risk when the alternative is driving around with an explosive liquid doesn't get a mention . Remember the American cars that exploded when rear ended?
Electric as of now is in it's infancy. I am a bit of a petrol head but can totally see the advantages of electric vehicles - maybe for now better used for city based transport. A local firm used to run a fleet of converted milkfloats back in the day as a way of distributing paperwork around several offices. Obviously an electric van would make sense now
About a month ago I had to go to Manchester for a job with three of us in an electric Kia (?) we had to stop to charge in Birmingham but we neeed the loo and a coffee anyway (20 mins) did the job and drove to a hotel with only about 7 miles energy left. Charged up while having breakfast, stopped for coffee somehwrw around Birmingham again and back home. Comfy car, not much to say

Are you saving the second half till tonight (just a friendly micky taking joke)

Re the question of bias, almost all comments seem biased in one way or another.

The bit about the poor subsidising the Rich came as no suprise, it may be in the second half;)

Tim

Sponsored Links
Test drove an hyundai ioniq hybrid today but couldn't get the deal we wanted so left asking them to ring us if they have a change of mind. Seems these things sell themselves as they dont want budge on price.

It's all about the batteries in e cars the horrific impact mining lithium... they need to find a better product. Until then my money is on hydrogen powered cars.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017...lectric-cars-carbon-sustainable-power-energy/

And who ruined my boris thread it's been locked
Hydrogen cars cost a fortune to buy and to run. At the moment the best analogy you can give them is they are the Betamax to battery cars VHS.

Even if they were a better concept, which I don't agree with, they've missed their chance and aren't going to happen.

Test drove an hyundai ioniq hybrid today but couldn't get the deal we wanted so left asking them to ring us if they have a change of mind. Seems these things sell themselves as they dont want budge on price.

How far apart were you on price?

You need to walk into a Mercedes Garage :mrgreen:

Hydrogen cars cost a fortune to buy and to run.

what did it cost to buy and run a petrol car in 1905?

Was there a petrol station near your home and near your place of work?

Was there a repair garage?

what did it cost to buy and run a petrol car in 1905?

Was there a petrol station near your home and near your place of work?

Was there a repair garage?
I may be dragging the average age of the site down but I wasn't alive in 1905 nor did I get my license for quite a while.

Amusement aside, hydrogen cars don't have to compete with horse and cart. They have to compete with petrol/diesel and battery powered cars. When they make Tesla's look cheap you're onto a loser. It is literally the worst of both worlds right now.

since 1905, the cost to buy and run a petrol car has come down so much that it is within the reach of almost every working person in the developed world.

This did not come about because petrol cars in 1905 were intrinsically cheap, but as a result of mass production, design, development, supply chains, and infrastructure.

Nobody knows what will happen in the next 100 years, nor in the next 100 months, nor even the next 100 weeks.

In the UK, nobody even knows what will happen in the next 100 days.

since 1905, the cost to buy and run a petrol car has come down so much that it is within the reach of almost every working person in the developed world.

This did not come about because petrol cars in 1905 were intrinsically cheap, but as a result of mass production, design, development, supply chains, and infrastructure.

Nobody knows what will happen in the next 100 years, nor in the next 100 months, nor even the next 100 weeks.

In the UK, nobody even knows what will happen in the next 100 days.
True that, especially the last bit.

Apparently the model T cost the equivalent of $21,000 in today's money. You can get an electric car for about £30k now, hydrogen cars cost £50,000+.

The general expectation is battery cars will be about the same price as petrol by about 2025. Hydrogen is far behind, far far behind.

True that, especially the last bit.

Apparently the model T cost the equivalent of $21,000 in today's money. You can get an electric car for about £30k now, hydrogen cars cost £50,000+.

The general expectation is battery cars will be about the same price as petrol by about 2025. Hydrogen is far behind, far far behind.

How safe are Hydrogen cars in a crash?

How safe are Hydrogen cars in a crash?
In terms of explosion risk, about as good as petrol.

In terms of crash safety similar to electric cars (which means better than petrol as there is no huge engine to crush the occupants). At least i believe so, there aren't really enough hydrogen cars out there crashing to have reliable numbers.

Sponsored Links
Back