Electric wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to post to a 'shower' question and noticed that it was locked due to abuse so thought I'd just make a couple of personal comments.
There are loads of questions about what wiring to use for certain loads. If you don't know, or don't know where to find out (wickes for example) it may be better not to try.
BUT
I have seen wiring in houses where I need to replace it because it is so dangerous. Hanging ceiling roses in the loft not screwed on to anything but just hanging from a cable.
A shower taken off a light switch.
Spurs from spurs from spurs.
Wrong cables used when appliances change
etc.
Maybe we should all get our electrics checked when we move into a house whether we are qualified (I guess then do it ourselves) or not. Who knows what is hidden.
Just a thought - I can't take a shower yet until the thing has been run on a dedicated from the box - damn nusance when I am doing all this DIY.
Anyway - just a thought, electricity is dangerous and be carful on some of the answers. You 8,5kw shower may be replaced with a 10.5 when it breaks and ay need a new cable! Why not over engineer now (within reason) isn't it worth the cost/ssafety?

Sponsored Links
over engineering is always recommended on here, however DIY being what it is, budget is ALWAYS an issue in this area. DIYers are always reluctant to shell out more than they have to.

my mom's shower is wired in 16mm T+E.. I was given some from a job I was on..

the job was a hotel and every 2 rooms had a twin CU in the cupboard, wired back to a distribution board in the utility room on every floor in 16mm T+E..

there were lots of over long "tails" at the main board and about 4 rolls left over... we each had one full roll and our pick of the offcuts..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back