electrical boiler, allowed to connect second heater element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First of all, sorry for my (maybe) not always correct English terms, as English is officially only my 4th language :D

So sometimes I might not use the exact correct UK electrical term but I'm sure you'll get the picture.

Let me explain a bit the background. A friend of mine moved into a new rental flat and complains it takes AGES (>12 hr after taking a bath) to get again water warm from the tap.
So I check the technical space/closet, check the boiler and I can see the boiler has 2 totally independent temperature controllers, each with it's own electrical connection and its own resistive elements. And of course their own individual cover plate.

I can see there are 2 automatic circuitbreakers next to each other in the wiring closet, each labeled 'boiler'. I can see in the closet next to the boiler 2 'blind' cable connector wallplates, each including a switch and a fuse holder. The location of both in the wall is such that they are perfectly in line with the connections going into the boiler, to each of the thermostats.

But ... only one wall 'connection' is actually connected to a temp. controller. The other independent heater connection is not connected to the wall socket, although all looks like it should have been, all the way from the wiring closed to the wall socket next to the boiler.

Now the question ... I know Electrical regulation are a bit funny here in the UK (no pun intended), I have read the regulations in Part P, 2006 version but I don't know if my simple putting of the cable (as intended) will require :
- a council/LABC information (and paying of hefty fees) and/or
- a Minor Electrical Works Certificate by a certified electrician afterwards

This is a very simple change, I would call it fixing a bug which was there before, but I don't want the friend get in trouble in any shape or form by me doing something which I'm not supposed to be doing by UK law ...

In (mainland) Europe I'm considered a 'Competent Person', I did full electric wiring in multiple house and of course we also need an independent testing and certification afterwards. But for this change we wouldn't even think twice and it would not require any approval/certification afterwards. I just want to do this for the friend, get her and the kids proper warm water.

Am I allowed ?

Thanks,
Geert

Sponsored Links
If it's not in a kitchen or bathroom, what you plan to do should be fine, subject to the landlord's approval.

It sounds to me as if what your friend has is not a boiler, but a hot water cylinder with a pair of electric immersion heaters fitted.

Normally, one immersion heater is fitted at the bottom of the cylinder and wired on an economy 7 circuit (I'd hazard a guess the flat also has storage heaters?) and will only come on during a pre-set period during the night, the timing of which cannot be changed. I suspect this bottom heater is wired up correctly, and the long reheat time is due to the fact that this element will only be powered up for seven out of 24 hours in the day, when electricity is cheapest.

The top immersion is designed to be switched on temporarily and used as a boost during the day should the hot water run out, although it doesn't heat a full cylinder of water. I wonder, does your friend's landlord pay the electricity bill? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if he's disconnected the boost element to save himself a bit of money. In fact, nothing surprises me with landlords.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, this is exactly the situation as you describe it.

When I see her, I'll check l who's paying the electricity bill. It's not me, that's for sure... She should check with the landlord herself.

Thanks again !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back