Electrical cable in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I recently removed my garden shed which left the electrical cable that was there for the lights (this was all in place before I bought the house).

The fuse has been removed so the cable isn't live.

I now want to lay a new patio, can I just dig down and bury the cable?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
laying that cable would have been a difficult and expensive job, one day you might want a garden light or fountain or something, so it it was me, I would terminate it safely in a weatherproof box at the garden end, and isolate the supply at the house.

Sponsored Links
I now want to lay a new patio, can I just dig down and bury the cable?
As in just cover it up because not needed?

You should think about whether you might ever want a new shed i.e. "IF we had a shed, where would it go?"

Or would you ever want lighting in the garden or patio? Power sockets on the latter for a pressure washer? A water feature?

The thing is just destroying an electrical supply because you don't need it now is short sighted - you might be back here in a year or two as one of the people asking if they can clip cable to a fence because they want to have lights/sockets/pumps/shed but don't want to dig up their patio....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back