Electrical Connection for new combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current boiler has power supplied from the Lighting Circuit. I am having a new combi fitted in the loft, is it enough to take a fused spur off the lighting circuit? Im guessing its not to code?

Would I be better taking a fused spur off the ring main and into the loft?

Sponsored Links
My current boiler has power supplied from the Lighting Circuit. I am having a new combi fitted in the loft, is it enough to take a fused spur off the lighting circuit?
Yes that's fine, as that's how it is now I would assume circuit is alright.
Would I be better taking a fused spur off the ring main and into the loft?
Probably not.

Be midnfull that the gas fitter may require the circuit to be certified. Boiler wiring is in scope of the Part P gubbins.

well when I say its running off the lighting circuit now, its wired direct into the same MCB as the lighting circuit. Moving it to further along the circuit wouldn't cause any load issues as its only a boiler?

Sponsored Links
Plumbers take on it was "I just need a plug socket"

My other option of course is taking a fused spur off the electric shower feed but not convinced thats the best option

If you're having a new combi fitted this should be sorted out by the person fitting it - not you!

My other option of course is taking a fused spur off the electric shower feed but not convinced thats the best option
Now you're being silly.

You could put it on its own mcb if you have room otherwise it's fine.

ok thanks for the advice. The plumber said he would need to get an electrician in to put the power in. I don't want to have to pay out for a sparky for something I can do myself (with a little guidance)

ok thanks for the advice. The plumber said he would need to get an electrician in to put the power in. I don't want to have to pay out for a sparky for something I can do myself (with a little guidance)
Yes you can do do it yourself if you notify your LABC and pay their fee before you start the work. You will also need to hire the appropriate test equipment.
Your plumber is taking you for a ride if he didn't include the cost of connecting the boiler to the electrickery (sic) in his quote. How the hell is he going to test the boiler otherwise. :rolleyes:

well his quote would read "i will need a suitable power point to be provided in the loft space before I commence work" I would guess..

Well, you've got his quote,
Does it say

""i will need a suitable power point to be provided in the loft space before I commence work"

or does it say

"I'll provide and fit a complete working system that includes all connecting services and notification to the local authority, as and if required"

WHat about wiring to room stat, programmer, etc (you wont want that in the loft!) etc??????

Boiler wiring is in scope of the Part P gubbins.
In England and Wales ALL work on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling
is "in scope of the Part P gubbins"....

Bas- Thanks for that :rolleyes: You are one of the primary reasons I don't post much on here anymore.

As you may or may not know electrical work associated with the boiler works (main feed, feeds out for stat and prog unit) will require sign off.

8.heating including central heating, room heating, hot water and boiler or boiler controls

Unlike a simple add to a circuit which can still be done via DIY / MWC.

I sorry if my syntax isn't to your liking, but please stop reading things in your own 'special' way- have some common sense dear chap.

There are ways round it, have all the control in boiler and locate it in an accessable location. Some makers keep the electrical control in the boiler case and use wireless stats on batteries.

However if the op intend to ask the fitter to reconnect the existing room stat and it's wired then a cert is required.

As you may or may not know electrical work associated with the boiler works (main feed, feeds out for stat and prog unit) will require sign off.

8.heating including central heating, room heating, hot water and boiler or boiler controls

Unlike a simple add to a circuit which can still be done via DIY / MWC.
Actually all electrical work can still be done via DIY - there is nothing preventing it.

I sorry if my syntax isn't to your liking, but please stop reading things in your own 'special' way- have some common sense dear chap.
I'm not reading things in any special way - I'm reading exactly what you wrote.

Boiler wiring is in scope of the Part P gubbins.

And pointing out that "boiler" is an unnecessary qualifier, which might lead people to think that non-boiler wiring is not within the scope of Part P.

34245971.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back