Electrical Costs

As above, what is in the place now? Has this electrician actually completed an EICR or has he just looked at the CU & said 'well that lot will all have to go'.
Do look at that thread EFLImpudance linked to.
All-RCBO is a luxury not a requirement (at the moment).

Sponsored Links
Well, the North East will be one of the cheaper places to get the work done. Who suggested to you that the work needed to be done?

The fact that you do not live there and have no access, does not prevent you from ringing other electricians up who live local to the address, to get a couple more quotes for the work. On line Yellow Pages!

Is this something the agent has arranged or acted as an intermediary for the quote?

Agent, informed me that check/certificate needed, they arranged inspectin/certificate and that brought back the need and the quote. I could get another quote through agent, who has another electrician that they use. Only problem with me arranging quotes is tenant (who is v. good) works shifts, so appointments are difficult, and I do not have their contact details

And what does the certificate say (in terms of defects other than C3)

EDIT I'd suggest writing to your tenant directly (through the post, old-school I know) to let him know what you're up to and ask him if he has an email address and/or phone number you could have (supply your details of course) to make it easier to organise works at times/dates that suit him

EDIT 2 Check your agency Ts and Cs- they may get a commission on any works they organise & their pet electricians may not be the cheapest/best

Last edited:
And what does the certificate say (in terms of defects other than C3)

These are the C2's listed:

5.13 RCD(s) provided for fault protection – includes RCBOs:
5.14 RCD(s) provided for additional protection – includes RCBOs:
6.12 Adequacy of protective devices; type and rated current for fault protection:
6.13 Presence and adequacy of circuit protective conductors:

Also notes that there is some thermal damage on fuse carriers

I do not have a problem with the work that is being listed as needing to be carried out, just looking for some guidance on how realistic are the cost quoted for parts and labour

Sponsored Links
rcbo £108 and mcb £27 seems a bit steep
It's all pretty unclear/ambiguous...
Fusebox 14W RCBO Board - 250.00
Fusebox RCBO - 108.00
The £250 surely can't be for a bare CU - so does it perhaps relate to one fully populated with 14 RCBOs?

As for the £108, goodness knows what that is - it sounds like far too much for one RCBO, yet rather low for 14 RCBOs - is it perhaps the proportion of the "£250" (for a fully populated CU) which is accounted for by the RCBOs?

I also would be pretty nervous about any 'electrician' who described a DB/CU as a 'Fusebox'!!

Kind Regards, John

6.13 could be a very expensive nightmare if the CPCs (earth cores) are absent from the lighting circuits. What does 18th say about lighting & cpc?
The rest of it (lack of RCD and rewirable fuses) is more straightforward as long as the existing wiring has been tested & found to have adequate insulation resistance & earth continuity.
That quote is very confusing- it looks as if you're being ripped off but hard to tell. Can you take a pic of the circuit lists on the certificate & post it- that'll give everyone a clue as to what is needed

Can you take a pic of the circuit lists on the certificate & post it- that'll give everyone a clue as to what is needed

Does this help?

FF7C462F-94FA-48E9-9B14-B6FE97E512BA.jpeg
D354306C-87C7-4A6D-B7AB-E72238C82A34.jpeg

I have a small 2 bedroomed flat that is heated by night storage heater and hot water from an immersion heater. An electrician has given me a quote as he says I need to remove the non compliant consumer unit and replace with 18th edition RCBO board. Remove night storage board and replace with Rcd protected board.

He is quoting £350 labour and parts as follows:

Fusebox 14W RCBO Board - 250.00
Fusebox RCBO - 108.00
Fusebox split load board - 175.00
Fusebox mcb - 27.00

Are those prices realistic or should I shop around?

Does he not know that fuseboxes cannot be fitted? He needs to fit CUs. Get someone who knows what he is talking about.

It is managed by an agent and I have no contact details for the tenant.
Ask your agent for their details, I always ensure I have my tenants details.
Sorry, not available to me
Ask your agents for copies of the photos of the services they hold.

If the answer to either of the above is no... get a reputable agent.

As to 'preferred contractors', I avoid them as they usually cost 50% more and tend to be not the best quality of work even if they are a good contractor. How much was the EICR?

I had a hot water cylinder replaced [total bill £700] it was a horrible abortionand photograph and within a year an immersion heater failed, total bill £750 for a new cylinder, which I refused to pay [and never did] after I saw the date of replacement that I wrote on it. I have written dates on and photograph everything for a long time.

As has been suggested get your own estimate done, contact electrician and give agents details to arrange access for them, make sure the paperwork, especially the bill, comes directly to you to avoid the rude mark-up.

Does this help?
There are a good few iffy things about that Schedule. For starters....

...the Insulation Resistance section is all wrong. Testing at 250V is not really right, and the identiocal 9and 'odd') results for all ccircuits is 'interesting'!

... If the circuit supplying 15 sockets via 2.5mm cable, protected by a 30A fuse, is not a ring circuit, then that is wrong - but it probably is a ring, in which case the ring circuit tests should not be recorded as "N/A"!

Kind Regards, John

upload_2020-7-6_19-52-9.png

Shower circuit might be ok with omission of overload - but I doubt he realised that.
Definitely not with Zs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back