storage heaters protection

There are quite a few still in use in Devon, the earliest ones had a Crabtree VOELCB inside used as a switch which was operated by 2 strings through 2 sides of the case.

Sponsored Links
There are quite a few still in use in Devon, the earliest ones had a Crabtree VOELCB inside used as a switch which was operated by 2 strings through 2 sides of the case.
I’m Devon too, only seen a few during rip outs, and one more recently.

For heating? Not monitoring temperature? :eek:
Definitely. Scary thought, but as said, there are long non metallic hoses inside and earthed inlet and outlet, the heater itself effectively segregated from earth other than via water.

Sponsored Links
For heating? Not monitoring temperature? :eek:

That's an understatement.

I can confirm that some 1970s era shower heaters did indeed use an un-insulated spiral heater coil directly in the water stream. I remember stripping down a failed REDRING shower heater from 1975. It was a 'huge' 4kW model (yes, 4000W!). The heater was mounted within a drilled perspex block in a 'U' shape. The cold water followed in a 'live' end and the hot (well, warm) water flowed out of the 'neutral' end. The connection to the external plumbing being via a cast metal boss which was earthed.

The spiral heater had failed & melted its way out through the perspex, leading to the water escaping through the shower casing. It never did trip anything.... probably because the install was sort-of TT with the old crabtree 'C50' MCBs for over current protection.

I say 'sort of' TT. The house itself was TT (via the lead cold water pipe). The water pipe was also shared with a workshop building which had its own supply. In the workshop the incoming water pipe was also 'earthed' back to the PME terminal supplied by the EMEB. So the house was PME by proxy!

Well, sincere apologies, Echo, for doubting you.

I am gobsmacked that anybody ever thought that was a sensible design.

Yes, 2 coil heating elements. The triangle part of the heater unit contains a float switch which detects the water flow and switches on a contactor to power the heaters. The float switch is also live and completely bare in the water.
I am gobsmacked that anybody ever thought that was a sensible design.
The danger adds to the fun!

Video below of Electric shower heating water with live electric element directly in water.
I have used these, and although they never killed me or produced any live electrical feeling, they always make me uneasy.
Sfk

No never installed.
Had (nervous) showers where the water was heated with these when in Asia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back