Electrical course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this a worthwhile course? I'm a plumber wanting to get some electrical qualifications. Thanka

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-24-21-33-30-32_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-24-21-33-30-32_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Are you going to be installing circuits in kitchens, providing shower feeds or just heating system wiring?

What matters is if the scheme provider will accept the qualification. Even as an industrial electrician with 40 years experience when I enquired about scheme membership they would only accept me as an electricians mate, there were options for plumbers to get a restricted membership, but the schemes have combined and now getting close to being a closed shop.

What you learn is not the question, it is what the schemes will accept.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
36 weeks is long time.

Don't they have shorter versions of the same course?

Also, am I right in saying that after level 2, you do level 3 and then one more course (plus experience) before becoming a fully qualified electrician?

Sponsored Links
What matters is if the scheme provider will accept the qualification. Even as an industrial electrician with 40 years experience when I enquired about scheme membership they would only accept me as an electricians mate, there were options for plumbers to get a restricted membership, but the schemes have combined and now getting close to being a closed shop.

What you learn is not the question, it is what the schemes will accept.
Which 'scheme' are you talking about?

Normally we use 'scheme' for the registration body for self-certification (actually self-notification).

If so, then the only 'qualification' required is the Regulations one - plus inspection of your work, a few questions and certain books in your possession (including, for some reason, the OSG no matter how knowledgeable you are).

Also, am I right in saying that after level 2, you do level 3 and then one more course (plus experience) before becoming a fully qualified electrician?
I some times think the levels are a bit out, the 18th edition is level 3, shows one can read, and C&G 2391 also level 3 and far more involved, I went to level 5, but that was all about design, very little about practical items.

The scheme providers did not recognise my qualifications taken when I was 20 years old, seems not on their list, my apprenticeship mean nothing, neither did 40 odd years in the trade, I had taken updates, but at it was then 17th edition, inspecting and testing etc, was not enough.

As @EFLImpudence says having the books is also required, and when I took my 17th edition the OSG had not been undated so was not worth having, but they still wanted it. And they were not the least bit interested in my degree.

I think it is crazy, but if you want to work on domestic you have to do as the scheme providers want, since domestic pays so little compared with industrial, I only ever did it between jobs, and it was not worth my while becoming a member of a scheme, so never did join the scam.

36 weeks is long time.

Don't they have shorter versions of the same course?

It's 36 weeks but just on evenings two evenings a week for 3 hours

When I finished 2360, it was a level 3 certificate. But that was in 2005. No idea how that maps on today’s landscape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back