electrical fires

saw reference to this thread Joe, and thought why not put my experience to it.

Many fires can break out from plug tops, tarnished pins causes high resistance and starts to heat socket, as well as the plug tops, particularly if you are powering a high power electrical appliance like a 2Kw to 3Kw heaters,

i have seen plug tops jammed solid inside sockets with all plastic parts melted, particularly in extension sockets.

Another main cause is portable appliances, such as hair dryers, these use twin core (figure:cool: mains cord, when it develops enough twists and turns during its use, the internal copper conductors starts to snap up especially around the appliance entry point, around cord grips, where the weakest point is, so when an appliance is in use and the conductor becomes just a few strands, it overheats and can easily catch fire, here a fuse would not blow, since the heat is being caused by high resistance and not overloading.

Oh and don't forget lose terminal screws, these could overheat plug top pins to the extent that if one was using cheap non-BS plug tops or sockets can melt surrounding plastic and even catch fire, sparking joints within appliances. another common fault in the plug top is its fuse holder not pressing on the fuse tightly, or tarnished (oxidised) fuse contacts, including fuse itself, when you get poor resistance no fuse in the universe can protect against fire risk. ;)

Sponsored Links
can somebody settle a pub argument for me

house in our village had small fire the other day
electrical fault they reckon

but my mate reckons any electrical fault should make a fuse blow before the fault causes a fire

so what could cause a fire to happen

He is correct. If the fault is caused by an electrical wiring fault the fuse should blow before a fire if the circuit is designed correctly,i.e. overload protection, polarity, cable size and the installation earthing is adequate.

KA[/u]

Sponsored Links
We seem to be getting quite a number of these resurrected threads.
True, there is no point in trying to give the OP an answer, but many seem interesting and worthy of a comment as time and technology has changed. People not aware of the forum but using a search like Google will find these old topics and the odd useful update will help prevent them using out of date information.

A number of other forums use up to date software(!).
This will lock a topic if no posts are made after a specific time period.

eg 6 months.

many seem interesting and worthy of a comment as time and technology has changed~~~the odd useful update will help prevent them using out of date information.
A valid observation.

But nothing has changed in that the fault that causes most electrical fires cannot be protected against. That fault is, as mentioned before, the high resistance joint in a circuit under load. It will not trip an over current device and until the cable / terminal is charred into conductive carbon there will be no earth leakage to trip an RCD.

The only early indication of such a fault is the effect it has on the equipment supplied by that circuit. Dim or flickering lights may be noticed but the immersion heater taking longer to heat the tank of water is unlikely to be noticed. Smell of burning insulation may be noticed but not always.

One I've personally witnessed was on a farm I worked on as a lad. We'd been pressure washing out a shippen, and the damp got to the old rubber wiring which was, ahem, a bit past it's best. Suddenly there was sparken and spitzen from some wiring up near the ceiling. Never seen the farmer run so fast to knock the power off :LOL:

And then we have the regular warning from Westie about the ability of DNO supplies to maintain a "roman candle" if you mess with it.

PLEASE check the date of topics before you put you oar in.

That topic you have dug up was from 2004!!

SORRY!

I have been duped! Yesterday there was a new thread in GD, titled "Has anyone seen Joe " or where is Joe something to that effect, and I clicked on that thread and someone I did not note the posters name, had posted yes his last post was made on a thread titled "Electrical fires" so that is how I came on this thread thinking this must be current thread which Joe's started or participated, so without checking for dates I added my comments!

So I have been tricked! :cry: and I fell for it! :LOL:

LOL! I have been fooled! and now to prove my innocence, that other thread "where is Joe" is no longer in GD or has been deleted! :rolleyes:

I feel stupid now! somebody :evil: is out there who managed to trick me! was it JBR? I think so, but can't be 100% sure! JBR you are :evil: :LOL:

He is correct. If the fault is caused by an electrical wiring fault the fuse should blow before a fire if the circuit is designed correctly,i.e. overload protection, polarity, cable size and the installation earthing is adequate.

Nothing wrong with the installation I removed this plug & socket from, but the extension lead had a heater, electric blanket and on and off straighteners and a hairdryer.

As you can see the fuse has become hot enough to melt the casing on the plug (it's a lot worse inside) yet still works. It wouldn't have taken much more overloading for this to start a fire, had I not had stern words.

Do you know how long a 1362 fuse will carry well in excess of 13a for? Say 15 or 20a?

SORRY!

I have been duped! Yesterday there was a new thread in GD, titled "Has anyone seen Joe " or where is Joe something to that effect, and I clicked on that thread and someone I did not note the posters name, had posted yes his last post was made on a thread titled "Electrical fires" so that is how I came on this thread thinking this must be current thread which Joe's started or participated, so without checking for dates I added my comments!

LOL! I have been fooled! and now to prove my innocence, that other thread "where is Joe" is no longer in GD or has been deleted! :rolleyes:

Oh yes it is: //www.diynot.com/forums/general-discussion/wheres-joe.386015/#2964953

I feel stupid now! somebody :evil: is out there who managed to trick me! was it JBR? I think so, but can't be 100% sure! JBR you are :evil: :LOL:

No. I don't play silly tricks like that. Someone else (can't remember - read the thread) suggested this was Joe's last post. It wasn't me. Or perhaps the person who posted it did so in all innocence?

SORRY!

Oh yes it is: //www.diynot.com/forums/general-discussion/wheres-joe.386015/#2964953

No. I don't play silly tricks like that. Someone else (can't remember - read the thread) suggested this was Joe's last post. It wasn't me. Or perhaps the person who posted it did so in all innocence?

good on you JBR! so you are not after all :evil: as I thought! :LOL:

It was FiremanTT who lead me astray! that :evil: FiremanTT, no wonder he jumped to a thread related to FIRE! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back