Electrical Installation horrors.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmnf. I doubt if these are quite upto 16th Edition somehow.....

disboard.jpg

disboard2.jpg

:cool: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
And don't forget the asbestos in the fuse carriers. Under the control of asbestos that board should be sealed until the asbestos has been removed especially as one fuse has been removed/lost and it's now exposed

Cant see a problem with it :eek:
at least the fuses have been numbered lol :LOL:
Just stick a label over the whole lot condemming it and run, far away. :)

Sponsored Links
:D I wonder how long the first panel would last if that bare unprotected earth wire got caught up and shorted straight to Live?

:p Looking on the bright side, it could mean I might not have to goto work for a while till they fixed it or rebuilt the factory :D :LOL:

The first one - is that an old 3-phase board by any chance? (not seen a fuse board like this before) Bet thats humming under load! What numpty has added onto it in the last year or so? Dont they realise the earth sleeve is for the earth wire, not to hold 3 cores together?

The second one - never mind the lack of earth sleeving - how are they going to get the cover on with those 2 T+E's sticking over the MCBs?

Where were these, Wardster? There is a strange number of 20A MCBs in that newer CU :eek:

crafty1289 said:
is that an old 3-phase board by any chance?

I think there may be a few of us on here that have installed these so less of the old :LOL:

Crafty - well spotted. Yep, its a 3 ph board, with it feeding an absolute variety of circuits. The majority of teh circuits feed power to an office area, office lighting and other "installations".
The problem is, is that the building is quite old, and a lot of the circuits are only identifiable by literally pulling the fuse holder out the carrier and waiting for someone to start moaning that their fan heater / computer / kettles not working.

Also, the main board feeds power to various circuits within a showroom, of which there were old redundant florescent fittings, junction boxes and sockets all disused but still live. As the showroom was having a full renovation and refit, the decision was made not to use the existing wiring or to trace back the old wiring as far as possible and isolate / pull out the old cable. The boiler room with this fuse panel in was next door to the showroom so tracing the cables back would NOT have been a problem, the only problem being really would be the graft of getting up into a suspended ceiling.

So, instead, we have live cables in choc blocks hidden away in a ceiling space, and just covered up.

The second pic, my mistake. the installation as present isn't "finished".
This is inside the showroom with the CU inside a WOODEN storage cabinet, and the happy painter has to physically unlock the cabinet to gain access (in the dark) to flip the main breaker to switch the lights on.
Yes, thats right, its LIVE and UNCOVERED!! :p :eek:
The MCB's are feeding 2 panel heaters mounted on the wall off FCU's , unswitched of course :LOL: :LOL:
Oh, and also feeding 2 lots of 12 low wattage florescent tube fittings, one on left and one on right wall. With 8 twin fittings on the ceiling.

Hope that helps out a little bit more..... :LOL:

Want to know more? Ask away..... hehehe

I am fairly sure that somewhere in 7671 it says that all redundant cables should be removed. cant remember reg No (who can?) .
Painters fumbling in the dark on live panels! ah well s'pose they're fairly cheap and plentiful (bit like apprentices - expendable ;) )
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back