Electrical issue! Help!

In Devil's Advocate mode

An aquaintance bought a house for which the vendor had a complete set of certificates. The vendor had not noticed that the certificate confirmed that the garage which this house did not have complied with the relevant regulations. Transpired that all houses on the development ( about 10 houses ) had copies of the same certificate even though only half of them have garages.

Some certificates of compliance are not worth the paper they are photo-copied onto.

Sponsored Links
Problem all sorted thanks to Tony mainly :)

The disconnecting of the neutrals from the bar enableed me to narrow the problem down to the downstairs lights. Outside I had lay a wire in-between bricks for the outside floodlight then mortared over the wire. The sky installer had then came and wacked a lovely nail right through! Nail removed and sparks flow normal :)

The upstairs lights were the last onthe neutral bar, I'm guessing that this was maybe the reason the upstairs lighting still functioned as the leakage wouldn't have been strong enough to trip the rcd.

Anyway all sorted, thanks for you tips, I'll worry about the eic next week!

Happy new year

Problem all sorted thanks to Tony mainly :)
I don't think so :eek:

Outside I had lay a wire in-between bricks for the outside floodlight then mortared over the wire. The sky installer had then came and wacked a lovely nail right through! Nail removed and sparks flow normal :)
:eek: So now you have removed the nail have you repaired the damaged cable - the same cable that runs in the safe zones of course. I thought you had this rewire done by 'a good guy' - are you now the 'good guy'?

Anyway all sorted, thanks for you tips, I'll worry about the eic next week!
I'd be worried about that 'sparking' cable!!!! Today not next week.

Outside I had lay a wire in-between bricks for the outside floodlight then mortared over the wire.

The word "in-mortality" springs to mind here. Or is it in mortarl danger..

Ho Hum 230 volts in the damp external brick work,

Sponsored Links
Jus a quick question been as you are such a smart arse, how do you wire up a light without getting a cable outside??

And I'll get the cable repaired don't worry! And asap, the next week comment was about the certification. Jeez sparks are sarcastic!

Jus a quick question been as you are such a smart a**e, how do you wire up a light without getting a cable outside??
Tut tut - hit a nerve have I. Is this your admission that you have rewired this property yourself?

And I'll get the cable repaired don't worry! And asap, the next week comment was about the certification. Jeez sparks are sarcastic!
Good to hear!!! If being a smart arse and sarcasistic saves your life then so be it.

how do you wire up a light without getting a cable outside?

by installing the cable correctly to avoid ( or reduce as far as possible ) creating any hazard to people.

For example the lamp needs replacing so you get your metal ( cos its light wieght) ladder out and stand it the wet ground. You climb up to the lamp and touch the wet brick work next to the damaged cable. Your other hand is holding the metal ladder the feet of which are in contact with the wet earth.

The shock you get won't kill you ( well it might if you are really un-lucky ) but the fall from the ladder could leave you with serious injuries. maybe paralysed for life.

Call me a smart arrse ifyou want to. But it is smart people who by thinking out of the box see the dangers and try to prevent dumb people injuring themselves and/or other people.

Lol! That has nothing to do with there being a wire outside!!

I did lay some cabling where the sparky told me, he connected everythig up. I am well surging my rights to do that as lon as I dnt connect.

Thanks for the guys that helped, I an now unwatching this topic it's getting silly

Why do people even bother to help idiots like this? I know it's xmas but . . .

Lol! That has nothing to do with there being a wire outside!!

I did lay some cabling where the sparky told me, he connected everythig up. I am well surging my rights to do that as lon as I dnt connect.

Thanks for the guys that helped, I an now unwatching this topic it's getting silly

In other words I have lied to get you lot to help me with the bodge job I have done on the electrics, got the immediate problem sorted so you can all do one.

Your electrics are dangerous. People die in house fires all the time, if you have any decency you will at least show this thread to anyone unlucky enough to live in your deathtrap of a house.

You ignore the advice (even the mildest course of action of having the work checked) of a range of people working in the electrical contracting industry. Now you show your true colours; as some one who holds electricians with complete contempt.

I would take yourself off of the forum; as I cannot see many rushing to help you with your next crisis. Bet you have not got the plumbs to show this thread to the better half (can't be a worse one)

Turn the power off and get it checked properly.

My honest advice

Martin

[/b]

It is amazing how people will hit the thanks button if someone write something soothing (but quite incorrect)
I didn't state anything as fact, I said I think it's nothing to lose sleep over.

but fails to thank thank the people who go to the trouble to quote chapter and verse from the laws of the land and offer a probable remedy for the hole he and the wonderful retiree electrician has dug for himself.
If it's going to make you feel better, flameport now has my thanks.

Ignore the BCO certificate now at leisure, but you may regret later.
Regret as in a future seller may insist on a certificate? Then he'll have to go through the process flameport has suggested, and budget that into his moving costs. Right now though, is that process going to make the installation any more safe than it is today?

Jus a quick question been as you are such a smart a**e, how do you wire up a light without getting a cable outside??
1) Where possible run cables inside and out through the wall behind the light.

2) If installing cables outside note that all of the regulations pertaining to cables concealed in walls apply outside just as much as they do inside. Was this cable in a recognised Zone?

3) Use cables of a type, or installed in a way, which gives due regard to the external influences they'll be subjected to. What type of cable did you install in the brickwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back