electrical laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the UK has the safest electrical system. so why do we have to change to other countries wiring codes. i.e wiring colours?

you come accross a bright coloured cable. first thought? danger.

dark coloured cable: could be dangerous

workin on 3 phase the other week. the amount of times i nearly stuck black in the neutral bar...

and then we go get part P. all because the government is a little short of cash lately they decide chargin fortunes to small companies to do work is a good idea, and in some cases make a kitchen fitter more qualified than other electricians who have done electrical work for 30+ years

aswell as the fact P only effects honest people. mateof mine had a shower fitted. plumber was also a sparky. even tho he absolutly to test equipment, broke sealed fuse to fit the RCD on the meter tails (why he didnt just put it on the shower i have no idea, altho apparantly he said its the new regs that everytihng must be protected by a 30mA RCD)

i think the government should realise that safety is more important than laws. so what if i havent stuck to BS7671 all the time, but at least i know that my work is safe, which is more important

Sponsored Links
swapping the neutral with one of the phases in a cuircuit is more likely to blow the connected equipment than actually hurt anyone.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
swapping the neutral with one of the phases in a cuircuit is more likely to blow the connected equipment than actually hurt anyone.

could have some pretty nasty results if it did happen. but the point is oter countries should be copying from us. either that or let them get on with it themselves and us to continue RYB colours

How can that be?
Surely Brown and Black would look the same to a colour blind person.
Or are you saying that all cables should be labelled L1 L2 etc.

And before someone quotes from 'Airplane' I'll do for you. "Don't call me Shirley"

Qedelec said:
How can that be?
Surely Brown and Black would look the same to a colour blind person.

Colour blindness means that it's hard ot tell the differnece between red and green, not shades of brown to black.

if you cant tell the differnce between colour you shouldnt be doin electrical

Ah - the BOFH. Click-clickety-click.

IIRC, in the final episode he is seen heading towards one of the comms risers armed with a number of plug-in timers and some leads with 13A plugs on one end and RJ45s on the other....

ban-all-sheds said:

IIRC, in the final episode he is seen heading towards one of the comms risers armed with a number of plug-in timers and some leads with 13A plugs on one end and RJ45s on the other....

Lol, there isn't a final episode as such, dispite the author killing him off and ending the series, he seems to always bow to pressure and somehow continue it, they are written for www.theregister.co.uk atm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/

But yes, that description does ring a bell :LOL:

Yes - I realise that now - I thought there had been a final episode.

I must say, from a quick delve into a few recent issues, it's nowhere near as good as it used to be...

ban-all-sheds said:
Ah - the BOFH. Click-clickety-click.

timed etherkillers.....fun ;) ;) ;)

I have looked at many posts which seem to be well outdated on there origin. I have wondered how these posts that are so old have been found and re-started.

Then it clicked. At the bottom of each post is a list of other posts on a similar subject. It seems the auto software does not have any limits as to how far back it trawls through the posts.

If one reads this post 4 years after it was started one realises the comments made are likely to be not what the same people would say today.

So my question should there be a limit to how long posts are kept on the forum?

This is even more important when new regulations come out as someone can read comments on old posts which if followed now will break the regulations.

There was a 6 month overlap with regulations may be there should be 6 month limit to hold posts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back