Electrical lead on lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Power lead on my Bosch lawnmower that I had for many years the power lead started bunching up, kinking and when I pulled it apart would return to how it was in the end I brought a new lead and in four months it’s gone the same way. What could be causing this please any suggestions.
Tully

Sponsored Links
The way you wrap it up, and then unwrap it. If wrapped up from plug side then unwrap from lawn mover side, if you wrap up then simply pull cable from coil you will twist the cable a bit more every time.

You are twisting the flex as you coil it up and cheap plastic flex is very susceptible to damage if you coil it up the wrong way. When you coil it, coil it the way it naturally wants to be coiled, maybe putting a twist in to help it form each coil. Get it right and you will have a neat flat coil in you hand. Getting it wrong, winds the flex up inside causing stress and it can burst.

I was taught to wind cables onto my palm and elbow in a figure of eight. The twists are balanced (left and right alternately) and it also has the advantage of being impossible to tangle.

Sponsored Links
I was taught to wind cables onto my palm and elbow in a figure of eight. The twists are balanced (left and right alternately) and it also has the advantage of being impossible to tangle.

Absolutely not! It twists the conductors and eventually they can break. If I catch anyone coiling my cables - signal or power - that way, they get taught how to do it correctly on the spot! If you want to coil a cable so that it doesn't tangle, then the "over and under" technique is the correct way to do it:

What could be causing this please any suggestions.
Tully

Its called built in obsolescence, and thus the manufacturer makes more money by selling you a replacement lead that is as crappy as the first one. Make you're own lead out of rubber cable it should last a life time.

Irons are the same, they all come with "non-kinkable" flex, that kinks the first time you look at it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back