Pond Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a garden pond and we want to fit a filter system.

The filter is supplied with water by a 240 volt pump which is submerged in the pond and then returns by gravity.

The filter and the power source are both inside a conservatory out of the weather. The pond is about 3 metres away from the conservatory and the area between is a concrete patio which as been overlaid with decking.

Would the 240V power lead to the pump be OK just lying on the concrete(under the decking)or does it need to be buried or put in a conduit?

The makers of the filter and pump (Oase) also suggest it be fitted with one of those breakers that you would use with lawnmowers etc, which plug into the socket before an extention lead. The house was rewired last year and the socket I want to use is the outdoor type with a lid that closes over a plug so there isn't room for a plug in breaker, don't the breakers in the consumer unit protect it all anyway?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the rcd is the correct size and everything works as described above then your proposal will be fine.
Thanks for your reply holmslaw, could I just confirm, by "your proposal" do you mean the RCD aspect only or that it's OK to leave the cable laying on the concrete too?

Thanks for the link and your advice breezer. The filter I've bought does have a UV, its called a Biosys 2. here it is.
http://www.worldofwater.com/biosys.htm
It's supposed to be a good system, time will tell.
:)

Sponsored Links
but Oase filters usualy have a "pipe to waste" so you dont need to do much by way of cleaning (in that you shouldn't have to take the filters out)

could be worse could have a biotec 30

biotec30.jpg

look at the size of that, nearly as big as the lady

Filter inside the conservatory?
Ewww, stinky!

robertw63 wrote
Absolutely!!!!!

Do you realise that the filter will probably need to be cleaned out several times a year and it will make a REAL MESS and it will REALLY honk!
:LOL: :LOL:
The conservatory I'm talking about is only used as a greenhouse and doesn't actually have any access into the house.

Apparently this type of filter is supposed to be quite easy to clean( :LOL: :LOL: ) It is fitted with a sludge drain that can be plumbed in and also there's a connection for fitting a garden hose to rinse it out. It is also 3 or 4 times the capacity I need, which I was hoping would mean less cleaning too.

Time will tell if its no good it will have to go somewhere else. :LOL:

Thanks for all your comments.

Thanks for the piccy breezer.

Mines much the same albeit smaller than your example.

The plastic parts you can see above the blue and orange(ish) foam to the right are handles. A cover goes over the foam and the handles then protrude through this. To clean them you pull the handles which compresses the foam and the rubbish is supposed to then fall to the bottom and out of the drain(after lifting a flap valve).

Oase equipment seems to have quite a good reputation so fingers crossed. :LOL:

Thanks for your comments.

Oase kit is very good (but expensive, but then again, with Oase you do get what you pay for)

as its a green house you may want to use the "waste" to water the plants, lots of "goodness" in there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back