Lawnmower recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved house in June this year and treated myself to a new lawnmower. Ended up buying a budget petrol lawnmower (Yard Force or some rubbish like that). Turned out to be a big mistake as after just 2 uses the engine developed a fault which couldn’t be fixed by following the troubleshooting procedures in the manual. I ended up returning the thing for a refund.

So now I need a replacement lawnmower. I’d prefer to go for an electric one as I always feel there’s less to go wrong, and I don’t trust cordless lawnmowers as I have visions of the batteries running out halfway through the job and taking ages to charge.

Can anyone recommend a good quality reasonably priced electric corded lawnmower?

Sponsored Links
Not the answer to your question, but if you go for a petrol machine eventually head for the Honda Izy........boringly reliable, second pull starter and available in 16", 18" and 21" sizes.
Mine - all 6 of them - have engines dating back to 2002, and they feast on one oil change every year.
John :)

Not the answer to your question, but if you go for a petrol machine eventually head for the Honda Izy........boringly reliable, second pull starter and available in 16", 18" and 21" sizes.
Mine - all 6 of them - have engines dating back to 2002, and they feast on one oil change every year.
I’ll bear that in mind, cheers!

Sponsored Links
Very happy with my Flymo eBay outlet store electric hover mower, I do have a shed with power directly adjacent to my not very big lawn which makes this a fairly good choice. If you have a long garden and have to run the power all the way from the house like my dad's place it can be a faff.

Very happy with my Flymo eBay outlet store electric hover mower, I do have a shed with power directly adjacent to my not very big lawn which makes this a fairly good choice. If you have a long garden and have to run the power all the way from the house like my dad's place it can be a faff.
I’ve heard mixed opinions about Flymo. I’d been looking at the Flymo Easiglide Plus 360V but online reviews were describing it as junk so I think I’m going off the idea…

Flymo - made by Electrolux - are definitely at the DIY end of the market.
For sure, you'll pay for them, but at least check out what Stihl and Husqvarna have to offer?

I had a flat lawn, and a cheap mains electric mower, and a Flymo which I thought was the domestic division of Husqvarna, but problem with Flymo is build up of moss as the cutting left on the lawn, and the problem with the other mower is the basket that catches the cuttings getting it's entrance blocked.

I now live on a slope, and hard work pushing mower, so I end up strimming instead as so much easier to get the battery powered strimmer out to getting out lawn mower, not as good as a job, but works even when grass a little wet, and with two sets of batteries I could go all day, takes two 20 volt batteries which will last around an hour, and they take an hour to charge.

I think the problem is we have seen the pathetic battery tools of the past, and we have been put off, I have two multi tools aldi petrol and lidi battery, there performance is about the same, but the battery one is lighter, so petrol one now hardly used, it was bought first. I have a mains powered hedge cutter and the multi tool hedge cutters are both on long poles so not as easy to use, but so much easier to use the battery multi tool one to getting the mains powered one out and wrapping up the lead after, that I use the battery one rather than mains most of the time.

So garden size will make a difference, but remember the advert less bother with a hover, which was not true by time you raked in the grass, but in the same way less bother with battery, you grab it, and do the job, no messing with cables. And I have never cut through the cable on my battery tools, well to be far not done it with mains tools I am careful, but don't need to be looking out for that cable with battery tools.

So garden size will make a difference, but remember the advert less bother with a hover, which was not true by time you raked in the grass, but in the same way less bother with battery, you grab it, and do the job, no messing with cables. And I have never cut through the cable on my battery tools, well to be far not done it with mains tools I am careful, but don't need to be looking out for that cable with battery tools.
They come with grass collecting bins on these days, not 100% but I've never felt the need to rake

OK for me the main thing is to cut up the wind falls and put them in with the grass cutting and into the garden waste, other wise loads of wasps. But be it moss or wasps, better if grass collected, OK if mowing once a week, where I work it seems to be every week some one needs to cut the grass, and done that often it does seem cuttings can be left.

Biggest problem is drive belts breaking when we hit a mole hill we have missed with the rake before hand. But most people don't need a petrol mower like this 1697968689239.png and where I work we have two, one each end of the train line, but who has enough of them in their fleet to really be able to compare them? The same with smaller lawn mowers, we don't have enough of them to compare. Believe it or not, to use a hover mower, or a strimmer at work I have to go through a training program and be passed out on their use. I am allowed to use the sit on mower, after my efforts were monitored, but seems too many accidents with strimmers, so need special training. Same with hedge cutting, although most of that is done like this 1697969268440.png that tractor shows very little mileage, but works hard.

For texas, that is a really big deal to have sheep there, Texans will ostracize family members who eat sheep!!

Personally I wouldnt have anything but a petrol lawnmower. I have had my cheap £99 B&Q special for 5 or 6 years and it has been fault less despite never having had an oil change,, just top ups every couple of years. It cuts through grass not matter how long or how wet, just make sure you keep the cutting blade sharp.

Personally I wouldnt have anything but a petrol lawnmower. I have had my cheap £99 B&Q special for 5 or 6 years and it has been fault less despite never having had an oil change,, just top ups every couple of years. It cuts through grass not matter how long or how wet, just make sure you keep the cutting blade sharp.
Thanks for the info, but I’d rather avoid petrols. That’s two I’ve had now which have suffered the same fate, so never again.

Honda Izy is very reliable and quite light, had mine for 10 years and only annual oil change and one filter and spark plug change.

Cordless is the future, this youtube review/promotion shows how technology is progressing in the commercial sector, still too expensive though.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back