Need some electric or petrol lawnmower recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a reasonable lawnmower that is either:

a) Electric (must be cordless and have a good battery life)

or:

b) Petrol but with push-button or key start (this is essential - this is for my wife and she hates using cord-start mowers).

Must be fairly rugged and reasonably powerful as we have thick grass with moderately uneven ground (moles keep paying us a visit!).

The budget is around £250

Sponsored Links
I know you wanted a mower without a pull start, but I have a Lawnflite 3.8hp 18" which is pull start but is extremely easy to use, usually starts first time every time. We've had it for 6-7 years and it still starts extremely easily even after being left in the shed overwinter. Never had a problem with it, I must confess it's never had any maintenance, and it cost the huge sum of £160 as I remember. My wife who is fairly petite has absolutely no problems with it. I think if you really wanted a key start mower you're going to be spending a lot of money, so you would really have to opt for an electric one for this reason.
Hope this helps.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable lawnmower that is either:

a) Electric (must be cordless and have a good battery life)

or:

b) Petrol but with push-button or key start (this is essential - this is for my wife and she hates using cord-start mowers).

Must be fairly rugged and reasonably powerful as we have thick grass with moderately uneven ground (moles keep paying us a visit!).

The budget is around £250

Before I bought a walk-behind petrol mower, I did some research online, and asked a friend who did this for a living, and the answer in terms of reliability came back as "Honda" ("Which" magazine's website came to the same conclusion). So rather than spend my £220 at B&Q on something new but of uncertain robustness, I bought a used Honda Izy. These have a pull start but this really is very, very easy to use (as the name suggests). So far it's been a good mower, with decent power. Also copes with a moderate degree of undergrowth with the desk on its highest setting ;)

Hayter also used to have a good reputation with professional gardeners, but I've seen claims in gardening forums that quality has gone downhill (I have no experience of them so can't vouch for this).

Whatever you buy, you'll make her life (and therefore yours) a lot easier if you buy a self-propelled mower rather than a push mower. These have drive to the rear wheels or roller, so you walk behind it rather than having physically to push it all the time.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Ta, Honda do keep coming up a lot (either actual mowers or ensuring that the another manufacturer's mower has a Honda engine (such as the Mountfield mowers, some of which use Honda engines, some use Briggs and Stratton and some apparently use poorer quality Chinese or Indian engines)).

So I'll probably by looking for a Mountfield or Honda self propelled mower with electric start. Unless my wife can be persuaded to use a pull start (which is unlikely!).

Ta, Honda do keep coming up a lot (either actual mowers or ensuring that the another manufacturer's mower has a Honda engine (such as the Mountfield mowers, some of which use Honda engines, some use Briggs and Stratton and some apparently use poorer quality Chinese or Indian engines)).

So I'll probably by looking for a Mountfield or Honda self propelled mower with electric start. Unless my wife can be persuaded to use a pull start (which is unlikely!).

Two other things to consider:

Do you want one with a roller at the back, or a wheel at each corner? Roller good for the striped lawn effect, four wheels better at going "off road".

What size deck do you want? Smaller (16") makes a lighter, more manoeuvrable mower, larger (21") will cover the ground more quickly.

Can't help you with the moles ;) Tunnel traps is all I found to work.

Cheers
Richard

Not really worried if there is a roller or four wheels to be honest.

Width? 16" minimum, happy to go for something larger (but if the mower is too wide it won't be able to get through the gate to one of my lawns).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back