Petrol Lawnmower - Honda Izy vs ...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After years of electric mowers (and a brief ownership of a battery powered Rotak that was under-whelming) I am now looking to get my first petrol lawnmower.

Exciting news, I am sure you will agree.

The Honda Izy has lots of positive press (I'd probably go for HG416PK based on my garden and reviews), but recently had the Hyundai HYM430SP mentioned as a lightweight option - any others that I should consider, or would either of these do the trick?

Happy with the prices quoted for these (up-to £300) as long as I get something that does the job, doesn't complain, and is easy to store.

Sponsored Links
The Hyundai is quite a bit cheaper but this does show up in the build quality. Expect to save maybe £100 against the Honda.
The Honda is the superior machine in my opinion and after market parts are available anywhere. Both machines have steel decks so both need cleaning and painting.
Being four stroke engines, they can't be hung up at the end of the season unless the fuel and oil is drained.
The Honda dealer network is very well established, unlike the Hyundai.
John :)

I would go for the Honda, or at least something with a Honda engine

My dad bought the earlier version of that mower brand new at the millennium, it's still going great at 18/19yrs old although I had to fit a new deck in 2015 (he doesn't do much cleaning/painting on it)

Sponsored Links
I would get yourself down to your local tip - you will be amazed how many really good petrol mowers go for under £25. most only need a change of oil and a spark plug. The vast majority have the same power unit.

Thanks all - as I am new to this, when it comes to cleaning/painting the steel deck is there a guide? Is it a case of cleaning off after each use and then painting at the end of the season? Or something more?

Will give my local tip a try too

Had my brigs n Stratton 4.5hp mower for 20 years.. changed the oil twice and the spark plugs once. Never cleaned it o_O:mrgreen:

Thanks all - as I am new to this, when it comes to cleaning/painting the steel deck is there a guide? Is it a case of cleaning off after each use and then painting at the end of the season? Or something more?

Will give my local tip a try too
At the end of the season, drain off the oil and fuel and tip the machine right over. Take the blade off (14mm bolts, ) sharpen it and then scrape the deck underside, treating any rust before giving it a heavy coat of Hammerite.
New decks are around £120, you'll get 10 years without any treatment.
John :)

Last edited:
I clean out under my Honda's deck after every time I use it. Three years and no rust so far.

I would definitely go for the Honda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back