honda izzy lawnmower petrol tank dry between use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2007 honda izzy 18" lawnmower - been going fine, i change the oil and sharpen/balance blade etc
anyway
last year towards the end of season, sep ish time, i noticed the petrol tank was dry between use - probably a week , never had that before - i usually fill the tank and probably get 2 cuts from a tank, and theres usually some in the bottom when i fill it up.
but this time i noticed it was dry between cuts
cannot smell any pterol in the garage and i probably go in most days

anyone got a suggestion, what to look for - i guess a perished / loose fitting pipe ..... never really worked on this - so how to get apart would be useful

i'm thinking of just biting the bullet and getting a EGO 18" or 21" replacement - at between £600-900
Probably after a few reviews looking towards the EGO now
or a stihl 448 as i already have a 200 battery = not ideal as 300 needed - just wont last as long

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Machinery nation does a good review of electric mowers on their youtube site.

Thanks I watched that earlier

Best Battery Lawn Mowers 2023 - Watch This Review Before You Buy!

- which sort of made me edit the post , to now looking more at the EGO.

But would like to sort out the honda , before spending out £900 ish

The Izy has a petrol tap, so close that and see what happens first of all.
If the fuel still vanishes then the carburettor needle valve is passing fuel.....not unknown and the fuel may escape to the air filter - which is paper - or the exhaust silencer.
Less likely is the fuel may be heading to the sump, and you can tell that because the oil level rises.
Why you can’t smell anything is anyone’s guess!
John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replay and all the info - lots to consider and look out for - cheers

The Izy has a petrol tap, so close that and see what happens first of all.
Yep, thats closed , i always do that , and I checked when it was first dry, in case i had forgotten , but it was off

.not unknown and the fuel may escape to the air filter - which is paper - or the exhaust silencer.
I'll check the filter , bit late now as been in garage since about november , but maybe theres a mark or some clue - and I can certainly add fuel at end of week and then check and see if the filter has anything

Less likely is the fuel may be heading to the sump, and you can tell that because the oil level rises.
ok, thanks - I'll check the oil level and see what it at - later in week and report back

Why you can’t smell anything is anyone’s guess!
I will have more of a look around after i fill

then the carburettor needle valve is passing fuel.
is that a worn valve - maybe dirt , i try and make sure nothing goes in - is it a simple job to take apart and clean
I took apart a stihl carb last year , had a membrain and cleaned all that when the chain saw would not start , reasonably straight forward having looked at lots of youtube videos

If you turn the fuel tap off - and presumably it’s working- then either it’s a problem with the tank or the pipe leading to the tap so no need to delve any deeper.
I’ve never had an issue with either of these, but either way you should smell something!
John

Thanks John
Thats good to know, and saves a lot of trouble shooting - good point about the TAP if working or not , maybe its NOT 100% shutting off now .... and leaking into carb and i assume evaporating
I'll spend sometime looking into before i shell out on a new mower, although I have a budget for things like that were everymonth I put a little away for things like replacement items - not enough these day, cost of things now .... Old days was envelopes ......
anyway - thanks again for the guidance , at least i know where to look first

Good luck with it, they are a great machine and you'll always find a buyer for it!
The tank is integral with the air cooling cowl.......3 10mm cap nuts and it lifts off, after losing the recoil starter of course!
John :)

had a play , as i cut the grass on thursday

- the oil is fine , the paper filter fine, dry and no stain , and there was still a small amount of petrol in the tank , which hadn't been used since last year

So checked this morning and still has a small amount to fuel in - which is how i left it, last year - so not leaking via the tap or hose.

I will fill it up to the top the next time I cut the grass and see if it drains when there is more fuel in the machine , and then it must be the tank i guess, so we will see over the coming weeks
As i say i usually get 2 cuts per tank full.

OR maybe i have been mistaken for some strange reason .....

anyway - I will update over coming weeks

Thanks again for the responses

so cut the grass again this morning , and now the tank is fine and still full of fuel - must have been a user error i guess
although the start cable string has now all frayed
Perhaps i will post for recommendations for replacing the string/cord or the full mechanism in a new thread

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back