Honda Izy Lawnmower won't start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Honda Izy Lawnmower. It's been a bit temperamental the last few times I've cut the lawn. Hard to start, sometimes back firing on pulling start and 'hunting' sometimes (brrrr brrrr brrrr). Yesterday it started after a couple of pulls. I cut some grass then went off to help my wife clear some hedge. She went over to the mower and noticed a strong smell of petrol. I went over and there was definitely a strong smell of petrol. I tried to start the mower but no joy! The petrol smell worsened and some black fluid (I assume fuel?), came out of the exhaust. I removed the Spark Plug which was black but nothing much. I cleaned it with a wire brush and screwed it back in. I then took the Air Filter off and that too has fuel on the paper filter. I cleaned it as much as I could and replaced it and left the mower over night (left it in the Garden as it stunk of petrol). This morning I checked the spark plug by removing and placing it on the casing and pulling the cord, there was a spark so I put it back in. I unscrewed the Carburettor bowl and that was clean so I refitted it. Tried to start it just now, still won't start! There's a very slight popping sound.

So I'm looking for help guys. Any ideas? I have a half mowed lawn at the front and the back needs doing to.

Thanks in advance of any replies.

Sponsored Links
I posted this on another DIY type site (no not screwfix), and I received 3 replies. I post it here and get NOTHING! Not ONE reply! Sorry but this place has gone to the dogs.

The Izy engine is prone to eating plugs, for some reason (NGK BPR6ES)
so keep one handy!
If the machine has been tilted over, the air cleaner element gets clogged with oil, so unclip its plastic housing and check that.
However, it seems that the carburettor may be flooding, and here's a tip.
Turn the fuel tap off, remove the air cleaner and try to start without choke at first (a new plug helps too).
Once the engine starts, turn the fuel back on. This may clear a sticking float needle - but a carb strip is worthwhile.
Are we reprieved?
John :)

The Izy engine is prone to eating plugs, for some reason (NGK BPR6ES)
so keep one handy!
If the machine has been tilted over, the air cleaner element gets clogged with oil, so unclip its plastic housing and check that.
However, it seems that the carburettor may be flooding, and here's a tip.
Turn the fuel tap off, remove the air cleaner and try to start without choke at first (a new plug helps too).
Once the engine starts, turn the fuel back on. This may clear a sticking float needle - but a carb strip is worthwhile.
Are we reprieved?
Thank you very much for that John. I wish it had been a day earlier though... it's in the repair shop now! :cry: But, that is excellent advice for the future so thank you anyway.

I'll report back on the 'damage'! Not looking forward to hearing what they have to say!

Sponsored Links
Its a Honda, Blas, so you have bought one of the best machines on the market.
Its a simple yet well made over head cam engine, that only needs a yearly air filter, plug and oil change to keep it sweet.
Any engine can suffer from the odd bit of grit in the fuel, and thats an easy job to clear. I really doubt that the bill will be heavy!

Flat cap on :p
On the Izy, there is a screw just off centre from the one that holds the carburettor bowl to the main jet.
Unscrewing this (petrol tap off) allows the float chamber to drain, releasing any trapped water or other grot that has been lurking there.
Turning the fuel on may just wash away any debris from the needle valve area, which is certain to be the issue with Blas' machine.

Update:

Thank you once again gents.

I should add that before I took it off to the Service Centre on Saturday I rechecked it. I took out the Air Filter and brushed out all the dry grass and dirt etc (it still had a smell of Petrol though). I then took out the Spark Plug and tested it with a pull and it was sparking so replaced it. Tried to start it... it started after a few pulls! Great! I took it round the front to finish my half mowed lawn. It ran for 2 or 3 minutes then conked out! Wouldn't restart! So took it off to the Service Centre.

Well it's back now and starting first pull again, hurray! Even though I'd removed the bowl from the bottom of the Carb (on my initial checks), and found it was pretty clean so put it back together (assuming the Carb would therefore be clean), I was wrong! They (Service Centre), reckon it had dirt in the Carb (so you were right John). They cleaned it and as I say, it's now starting first pull and running fine again.

Cost £35 so not too bad.

They haven't charged me for it but I notice the Air Filter hasn't been renewed or the Plug. I did tell them that the filter had fuel contamination. I've just rang them and a Service is £65 but I'd rather do it myself. One to save the labour costs and two just because I'd enjoy doing it. The cost of an Air Filter, Spark Plug and Oil is only £13 so I'll probably nip up there some time next week and buy those.

May I just ask for a little more of your time though please gents? I was looking for a Service Manual for the Honda Izy online but I can only find 'User Manuals'. The only 'Service Manual' I can find is this one on ebay for about £9 but as you'll see, the seller has written this 'Manual' himself so I was a little dubious although he does say he's a 'Honda trained technician'. But the manuals do NOT include any part numbers so that too could prove a little tricky if/when trying to identify parts. So I was wondering if you guys knew of where I could obtain a Service Manual for the Honda Izy? The other question is, to empty the old oil out do I just tip the mower over? Just there doesn't seem to be a 'sump' and/or Drain Plug of any kind (I could be missing it though).

Thank you once again gents. Some great advice there.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The usual procedure on these is just to tip the machine over so the old oil runs out of the filler hole - but it pays to keep the fuel level low at the time!
I can't personally comment on the manual but reckon its worth a punt!
As for the part numbers, Honda have an excellent parts network, and all the dealer needs is your machine serial number to get what you want. I've never waited more than 4 days for anything - including a complete deck.
The service kit is indeed much cheaper than the parts individually. You probably won't need an air filter every year, but its worth keeping it spare.
The blade is easy to get off too - just 2 x 14mm bolts.
Small tip - when cleaning or inspecting the machine deck, only tip it back towards the handles. This prevents oil entering the air filter housing.

I've just realised John, you're in Northumberland... I'm in Whitley Bay!

...and I'm close to Matfen (or Seahouses most weekends)!
Your friendly Honda dealer is Gusthardts, Milkhope Centre, Blagdon.

...and I'm close to Matfen (or Seahouses most weekends)!
Your friendly Honda dealer is Gusthardts, Milkhope Centre, Blagdon.
Bloody hell! Years ago the wife's dad built a house in Beadnell, just down the road from The Craster pub! He sold it though, I think it's a B&B now.

In terms of the mower I actually just used these guys as it's a bit closer than Blagdon mate. But I know the Milkhope Centre.

Can't believe I never spotted where you were from earlier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back